What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, August 01, 2009

The Weekend in JUNK

Friday I decided to skip the usual in and out of ten or more yard sales and decided to hit two big Church sales and a sale being held by over 100 employees at a car lot. The first Church Sale netted a used Gameboy for $1.00 to be resold and this:
A 1970's Kool-Aid pitcher and four matching cups for 50¢ total. There was very little there at all and nothing I wanted. I envisioned piles of vintage Christmas and lots of other fabulous goodies at a small town Church Sale. Not.
The second Church Sale was in the next town at a very, very big Church. They had even less than the first sale. Drat! They did have a ton of clothes and jewelry. All new stuff from Fashion Bug. I did get three new pairs of Capri's - one pair still had the $42.00 price tags on them. I paid $2.00 for them. When I got them home and tried them on, they are apparently very low rise and they feel like they are constantly falling down! I hate them! At least they are new with the tags, so I can throw them on eBay.
Feeling defeated and gypped on JUNK, I proceeded to the big 100 employee sale. There would be a ton of JUNK there, right? There was a ton of junk alright, But, not the good kind. And it was being run by a bunch of guys that watched The Bean like he was going to steal something. He was looking at a big pile of truck tires at the time. I'm no criminal, but think it would be difficult to steal a truck tire without someone noticing....
Saturday morning means a new day of yard sales. But, I awoke to the sound of heavy rain at about 8:00, so I knew that was not going to happen. But, it was Kid's Day at our local Grocery Store so we had to leave anyway. Even though The Bean is nearly *cough* 14, everyone there knows him and likes him, so they put back stuff for him. He ended up with two big brown shopping bags filled to the top full of samples, snacks, T-Shirts, advertising premiums and coupons for free food from McDonald's and Sonic. So, it was worth getting out. And, while we were out, the sun came out so there were a few yard sales getting a late start.
I found two on one street, but left empty handed at both. It was starting to be another crummy yard saling day! BUT! It is Saturday and that means the Super Cheap Thrift is OPEN!!!!! ZOOM!
I love that Thrift. I always find a little treasure for very little money. It makes me happy.
The very first thing I found absolutely made my weekend. It's quite silly and no one in their right mind (except me, Heidi and most of you guys reading this blog) would want it. Ready?
Five vintage boxes of Dennison office supplies - Gummed Labels, Gummed Patches, Stamp Container, Mending Tape and Paper Clips. Love, love, LOVE that Eagle motif across the boxes. The little wooden stand seems to have been made for the boxes. It has a name writ en on the bottom. This little treasure was a mere 50¢. When The Bean saw it at home, he said, "That has been there a long time. I look at it every time we are there." Well, why didn't he show it to ME? And, how did I miss it before???? It was in the candle area, which is not an area I peruse due to stinkiness of said candles. Maybe that is how I missed it.
A sweet carved bird for 25¢ that perfectly matches one I bought last weekend. I had none, I had one now I have two. So, now I apparently collect these birds. Craaaap.
The world's largest doily or a very small rug - you decide. Either way, It is pretty and it only cost 75¢.
This Bean Pot Cookie Jar had masking tape on the lid, but no price. The volunteers sent me to the back to get a price on it. The lady thanked me for my honesty in asking for a price then priced it $2.00 and told me that she was marking it cheap for my honesty. I really thought she would write about $10.00 on it. So, it was quite a deal. Yesterday we were stealing tires, today we get rewarded or our honesty. Go figure. It is ebay bound.
A hand painted Mama Duck and Baby Duck from Mexico for 50¢. I'm not a duck person, but I like colorful things like this out in my flowers in the yard. And, you have to admit, that baby duck is terribly cute.
A big set of fun vintage aqua Salt and Pepper Shakers for 50¢. I saw these at a yard sale last weekend for $5.00. I mean, I saw this exact set last weekend. Five bucks was too much. Fifty cents was juuuust right.
I found this bag for $2.00. I lurve it! It is made of some sort of plastick-y woven strips and it seem virtually indestructible. It is a big rectangle and it holds a ton of stuff. It is so bright and cheery it makes me happy!

On the way home I spotted one more yard sale. It looked promising as I could see lots of old rusty chipping things scattered about the yard. Upon closer inspection, they seemed to be using those old rusty, chippy things as yard art and decor. Imagine that! I did manage to score this great new P-Touch Label Maker for $1.75. I know that was a good find.

So, there's my weekend in a nutshell (from the resident nut).
What did you get?

10 comments:

  1. My mom had a rug/doily just like yours when I was a little girl only it was gold and brown (yeah, I like your pink and white one much better too) and it was used sort of as a table topper type thing on her cedar chest.

    I love your Koolaid pitcher set, very fun.

    I just started a new blog to chronicle my thrifted things. I bought boats this weekend.
    http://simplesample-jeanette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems I had as successful a junking time as you. We went to aq very rainy auction on Wed in town and hauled home an entire carload of stuff for £5.00. That's about 7 bucks. the steal of the day was an arts and crafts oak table for £1. Needless to say , we will be back next week to that auction. Yesterday at the car boot sale, we got a nice tripod for the camera, cigar box, some old fabric and lace and a few old tins as well as other goodies. Lots of stuff to list on ebay now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Those Dennison boxes are wonderful! I would have fought you for those. Ha! This summer has been a bad one for me - haven't done much junking at all. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab finds! Love the big bag, so cute for outings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, before I even read the text I saw the photo of the Dennison boxes and knew exactly what they were! LOL

    Love that big square colorful bag. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to 5 yard sales prior to bowling and found NOTHING. It was complete broken junk or way overpriced. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shara,
    The aqua S & P made me feel a little squishy inside! Love the colorful basket too. Happy Junk Sunday!
    xo
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, do I love those Dennison boxes! I would've bought that just to use as a 4th of July decoration. And I'm drooling over that Kool-Aid set! Turned out to be a great junkin' weekend after all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, I love the Kool Aid stuff! Also, that bag, I can see you taking that on a picnik. Thanks for the info on the Boopie glasses. I love them even more now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd have wrestled over that Dennison set ... it's pretty great. A friend of mine had a woven bag like that, and it was made out of those (*&&^%!#! plastic packing straps that you can't break open (like the ones that come around bundles of priority mail boxes, if you know what I mean?) But they make a great bag.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers