What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Super OLD Vintage Thrift Finds

I have two very favorite thrift stores. The Life Ministries (aka Super Cheap Thrift) and The Attic. The Attic opens on Wednesdays at noon for the week. I like to be there as soon as they open to scout for goods. Mostly, I really like the older women that all run the place. They have fussed over The Bean since he was a baby. The all saved Campbell's Label for me after I won a statewide contest and had my picture in the newspaper a few years ago. They are all really nice. I do find things there, but just an item here and an item there. I have found two vintage tablecloths there, but other than that, not a lot of vintage stuff.

And then, there was today. The day I found super cool old fun fabulous vintage stuff! Yippeee!
As soon as we walked in the door, I spotted a piece of matte white pottery and zoned in on it. It could see that it was a vintage piece from across the room.
Here it is belly up in all it's glory. A really cool rectangular vase with knobby handles and cool bottom.
Yes, Sue. It's Haeger! A good one! It's really cool and I love it. I know it doesn't look that great or that special in the picture. It's hard to take a photo of a white planter. Now, here's the kicker. It was $5.00. And, really that is a good price. But, that is about, oh, ten times the price I normally pay for a piece of my beloved matte white pottery. So, I hemmed and I hawed and I finally caved and decided to buy it. When I checked out, I had items totalling about $9.00, but my lady friend only charged me $6.00. So, I got a good deal on it. Especially when you see what else I bought.....
A great old copy of the Bobbsey Twins. Oh, how I looooved the Bobbsey Twins. I still have all my copies from my childhood.
I spotted this Chicken Lotto game on top of the bookcase by the toys. I told The Bean and The Breadman - "Do not leave this area until you have gotten that game for me!!" The Bean stepped over some kids that were sitting in the floor reading and reached up to get it for me. (Have I mentioned lately that he is 5'8"? And, I am 5'2?) Here's what was inside. An awesome plastic chicken and colorful Chicken Lotto cards. There are all these colored balls, or eggs as they are called, that go inside the chicken.

You pass the chicken from person to person. each person yanks on the rooster tail and a colored egg shoots out.
Once your card is completely filled with the appropriate colors...you WIN! Oh, but you have to call "CHICKEN LOTTO" first! Cool, right? Anyone for a game of Chicken Lotto?

Or perhaps..... a game of Old Maid? Check these out......
Awesome vintagey goodness........ I scanned them so you can get a good look at each one.

See that one right there on the bottom in the middle? Black Sambo!

I am in love with these cards. I don't even want to know if they are worth anything, because I am so not selling them. MINE!


I wound up with the Haeger planter, Bobbsey Twin book, Chicken Lotto Game, Old Maid game, a NIP Wilson Cake Decorating stand and a pair of pants for The Breadman all for only $6.00!
In other news....

It rained hard tonight for about an hour. It rained over three inches in that short time. Which resulted in this in our front yard.
The Bean took a stroll through it to see how deep it was. And, he may or may not have taken a swim in the ditch. 'Cause you're only a kid once, I believe. So, a Bean Dip he had. It was 101 earlier, but only 68 now. So, the rain was very much welome!

9 comments:

  1. I saw some other pics from that storm. Looks like that hail was quite large in some places. Of all the things I DO NOT miss...the bad storms are one of them!

    It has been raining here alot too...only instead of getting it all at one itme, it drags itself out over weeks....not much better I suppose.

    I used to find really cool old fabric at The Attic...great place supporting a good cause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WATCH OUT! If you like the shape of that piece of Haeger - I've also found it in 3 shades of green, and brown, and amber, and, and, and! You may end up with a new collection!!

    The O.M. cards are Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Shara Great finds from the SCT! I love the old maid cards...I think I had a set just like that when I was young***er! Are we slowly repurchasing our childhood, or what? Whatever we're doing...I don't wanna stop!! I found a box set of Wendy's Hearts, another card game. Wasn't she a friend of Casper, the friendly ghost? Not as old as Old maid, but the graphics are still cuter than cute. Have a great Thursday...I'm off to unload my Wed treasure @ Steph's house for a short visit...she has room in her shed...I don't...nuff said? *elaine*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:06 AM

    Love the Old Maid cards!!! And the Chicken Lotto!!! You had a really good day. I especially enjoyed when you said the Bean took a "bean dip"! You have a way with words!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shara you kill me with the cool stuff you find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'OLE to the "bean dip". It's great when the kids know how to make their own fun.

    Oh yeah, once again you got the best of vintage goodness. I would so play the chicken bingo with you. The old maid cards MUST be displayed, those are the coolest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pottery!!

    I honestly dont think my kids have ever been IN a puddle, even though I grew up doing it every time it rained!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the images, mary and little bo peep are my faves! That is a crazy amount of rain!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the chairs and the stool. Are you painting them, or leaving them as is?
    Love your blog too!
    Erin * I remembered to add Monkey Box to my blog list. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers