What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tuesday Thrift Round-Up

Yesterday I went to a new thrift in town. I had been there one other time and the prices were very reasonable, but the selection was small. Yesterday the selection was much better, however the prices were much, much higher. I spotted a nice pair of wind pants for The Bean and they were $10.00. That is steep at a thrift. To me, anyway. I only bought two things at that thrift. And, I probably won't be going back any time too soon. I did buy this old German book. I don't know why, but the cover, the German writing and the patina of the cover caught my eye. (*Remember that statement...) So, when I opened it, what did I find?
Various color plates of eyeballs. Insides of eyes, outsides of eyes, pupils, irises, the whole shebang. Eyeballs, eyeballs, eyeballs. The photos above are rather artistic and educational. The color plates of various eye diseases...not so much. I still really don't know why I actually purchased it. It was 50¢ and a conversation starter if nothing else. *It caught my eye - GET IT?

I rescued this old vintage bunny from the depths of the stuffed animal bin. He had been marked down and down and down to only 50¢. I had to rescue him for my Easter decor. Who else would want the poor guy? I think he's a cutie.

And, a birthday trip to the Super Cheap Thrift netted a few fun finds.
A small basket purse. Lined with fabric, painted with ladybugs on the top, a mirror inside and a sweet little girl to boot.
A teeny tiny reamer - silver and marked Austria. It is only big enough to do one half lemon or lime at a time, so I think it must be bar ware.
Neither my Mom nor The Bean knew what this item was - do you? It's for taking off your cowboy boots. I'm not sure if that is a brand in the middle or what. Things are so cheap at the Super Cheap Thrift, that I just grab it and pay, then figure it out later. After a bit of research, it will be for resale.
A small pottery jug for my pottery collection. More and more pastels are slipping into my pottery collection!

So, what do we think about this? It looks familiar to me - like something I have seen in a book or something. It is odd shaped - three indented sides. I really need to look into this one before I sell it. Just think - it could be Lalique.........or Tiffany..........or the Dollar Tree. (!)


No weekend is complete until I find an owl or a toadstool lately. This week was no exception with this owl planter. I actually like this guy though. He will go on Etsy. And if he doesn't sell, he will go in my Halloween decor.

I really, really love this old scarf. I am not a scarf collector, but I always dig in the bin looking for Vera for a Vera loving friend. This week I found this 1953 Calendar scarf. It has the year, months, birthstones, monthly flowers, images for every single holiday and much more. I think it is really neat. And, it is big. So big in fact, that I have decided in my own creative way that it is almost big enough to quailfy as a tablecloth. So, I can keep it! Because I collect tablecloths!

I swear, can talk my self into keeping anything.

I have a pet peeve in blogland. I hate photos of peoples feet! I think feet are ugly. Even with pedicures and cute shoes. (Sorry all you folks with cute feet out there). So, I was rather disgruntled with myself to end up with a photo of my feet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've had several comments and emails asking about my birthday cake this year. Since last years cake was named a CakeWrecks Favorite and is now in a book, I can see why people would be curious. (Not Curious George. Just plain old curious.)This year I had a beautiful pink cake with buttercream flowers. It was perfect and I loved it. Oh, sure it won't ever be in a book. But, that's okay. Because this one made me happy. I still have bad dreams about that other cake!

10 comments:

  1. I spy...with my little eye...A book {FULL of eyeballs} AGGHHH!!!...a sweet cake {for a sweet lady}...toes on a scarf {why ya steppin' on it}..and a cute purse {with NO reflection in the mirror! Did ya try my hint?} have a wonderful wednesday *elaine*

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS for the 'shout out'... glad you linked to one of my favorite posts!

    The silver reamer has me puzzled. Is it actually metal or a colored glass? Metal should get pitted from fruit acids... right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:59 AM

    The cake is beautiful! Happy belated birthday!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognized the boot puller right off. But then I am Texan!
    I agree with you 100% about talking yourself into keeping the scarf/tablecloth. Of course you should keep it, it's just exactly what you needed - whether you knew it or not!
    I love the basket purse. Someone put a lot of thought and effort into it. I'd probably use it for storage of something small & crafty, maybe my crochet hooks or something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday. Your cake looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL I knew it was a boot jack. We have them for our wellies over here and I wish I had one for this winter. Who wants to pull muddy wellies off by hand?

    I love the handbag. Looks very cute with the painted motifs

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always fun seeing what treasures you find, especially when there's a mystery item included! That purse is really cute, and that's a great idea to start using the millions of owls we all see at sales for Halloween!

    P.S. My husband thinks my feet are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That little owl is so cute!

    yay for getting a decent cake this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that is one gorgeous cake! I swear, I am having a birthday cake this year, if I have to go buy it myself. (I LOVE homemade cake, but I want a real honest-to-goodness decorated store-bought cake) Besides, I just don't feel like baking my own, though I'll happily bake them for others. Yours looks perfect, I'd like one just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear. Does SHOESday creep you out? Or is it just bare feet? My sister HATES feet.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers