What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Ho Ho Ho Friday Finds

Two Christmases ago I noticed a huge Santa sitting on the front porch of the house that is directly behind me. He was a really neat Santa - he looked like he was from a Department Store display and probably pretty old. I saw him the next Christmas too. Then, this Spring, they had a yard sale. And, sitting on the front porch was Santa. Priced at $50.00. But, that had been slashed to $25.00. Still more than I could pay. Besides, he would be impossible to sell and ship because he was probably 6 feet tall. I patted Santa on the head and bid him a fond farewell.
Fast forward to today when I noticed they were having another yard sale. I wasn't going to stop because they normally have an huge explosion of girls' toys and clothes threwn on the tables and ground. But, when I drove past, I spotted Santa! He was still there. I had my Dad with me today. He likes things like that - big lifelike people and funny things. He went right over to Santa and commented on is coolness. I agreed that he was cool, but said that they had wanted $25.00 last time. I paid for a 75¢ item and was walking out of the yard. Then, I decided to ask - "How much is Santa, anyway?" She said, "My husband said he goes today or he goes to the dump. How about $5.00?"

As you can imagine, I whipped out a Fiver so fast I nearly got a paper cut. We loaded him in the car and took him home. I quickly realized that I really had absolutely no where to store him or display him. My Dad was still enamoured with the Big Guy, so I sent Snta home with him.

Here he is in my Dad's truck ready for the trip home. He said that when he left he was stopped at a corner waiting for the light to turn - A lady in the next car over got out of her car and started talking pictures of Santa riding in the truck! So, my Dad had a good ride home with Santa. He already has the perfect spot at his house for him. So, I know Santa is in good hands.

Other finds for today:

A Swanky Swig or old jelly jar with clowns. I don't like clowns, but I am hoping someone on Etsy will!

A lovely etched glass cloche/dome. I keep buying glass lately and I don't really know why. I don't like glass as a rule, but I do like jars and cloches.
A set of four blue Kimberly Anchor Hocking Mugs in really good condition. I rarely see these and when I do, they are usually all faded.

Love this old wooden hanger with the built-in clothespins. I am going to use it as a picture frame, so the speak.
Gravel art. Lovely, right? I think these are collectible. A pair of gravel horses.

A gravel angel and a gravel girl. Gravel for everyone!

A shell encrusted box. I always buy the red velvet lined ones and sell them in lots.

A funky owl glass - actually a complete set of eight. I hate shipping glasses, but if the price is right - I don't mind. ;o)


The reason I am blogging tonight - The Bean is at a pool party with a bunch of hotties. I'm off to pick him up. In the dark. I don't do dark. Wish me luck!

*Don't forget to come back tomorrow for the BIG GIVEAWAY!

3 comments:

  1. The Bean... with a 'stache... with babes in bikinis??!! Say it's not so! I remember when he was merely a baby - well, not exactly, but you know what I mean!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet your dad got some odd looks on the way home! LOL!

    Love that Fire King mug. :)

    The bean is growing up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pic of santa in your dads truck, too cute! Love the clown jelly jar and the blue mugs!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers