What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Feeling Bad About My Good Finds

Saturday it was nearly 100 and I am so over the heat. I am ready for Fall and walks and enjoying nature. It will be here someday. But not today.

I had been hearing about a fundraiser rummage sale in the next town over for a girl with cancer. "Karing for Kara" it was called. It was held in the Elementary Cafeteria and was quite possibly one of the largest sales I have ever seen. Clothes, oh my word, so many clothes. A toy explosion in one corner, boxes upon boxes of books in another corner. Odds and ends strewn everywhere. It was crazy. As I was looking at the Christmas decorations, a lady said hello to me. I looked up and knew I knew her, but couldn't really place her. After we made small talk which consisted of me saying, "How have you been?" and he replying, "I'm doing pretty good...you?" etc, we went our separate ways. As I continued looking around, I remembered that she used to work at my local Post Office. I couldn't completely place her without her uniform. Then I started trying to remember her name - Oh yes, we used to joke because our names were a lot alike...Kara. Crap "Karing for Kara" was for her and I didn't know it and I asked "How have you been?" Now I feel like a terrible person! I looked for her again, and I spotted her, but she was with a group of people laughing and I didn't want to go back over there and bring her down. But, now I feel about two inches tall. I bought quite a few things and they suggested a price, but I paid double. My conscience was really nagging at me. It still is.....

So, what did I buy?
A silver basket that is heavy as heck. I haven't found any markings on it, but it is metal and very well made.
A purple glass boot. A Santa boot, I think. At least, it was in the Christmas section when I picked it up anyway. I think a purple Santa boot is different, to say the least.

A vintage Santa boot in the more traditional theme and a vintage Santa mug. I have too many of these old mugs already, but his face was different. So, in my bag he went.
A nice old glass jar. It had "50th Anniversary" in good on it, but I have discovered that an SOS Pad will scrub off gold writing on glass pretty easily. Pictured in it is a small portion of a large amount of handmade strawberries. Here's the rest. I can't imagine all the time it took to make all those darn strawberries.

A pretty glass bowl. This seems to be my new favorite color. I have been to drawn to it recently.

Case in point. This blue hurricane glass is absolutely HUGE. It is about a foot tall. I want to fill it with my marble eggs, but I don't want it to break.

Three fun vintage glasses. I see on so many blogs that people actually use these cool old glasses, but for now, I just stick them in the cupboard. Maybe this will be the year we use them!
An old box of vintage chalk. It doesn't have the cute graphics that the smaller boxes have, but it does have character. Mostly, it still has the original chalk inside - and a lot of it. The door that leads from our kitchen into our garage is one giant blackboard and I use it for everything from the grocery list to schoolwork. So, I will use the chalk.
This vintage Kromex canister set is ebay bound. It is so hard to take photos of shiny metal things. Any ideas?

My next post will be my 700th post. I have a big giveaway planned that I want everyone to enter. Promise???? No bells and whistles. Just sign up WITH AN EMAIL OR BLOG ATTACHED and you are entered. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
Also, I have joined up with Myblogspark to participate in trying new products and offering lots of giveaways to my wonderful readers. I will have my first giveaway later this week for Fiber One Yogurt.

So, come back!

6 comments:

  1. Morning, Shara. You cannot be expected to remember every name and face that you meet. Kara probably has so many greetings re: her health, that your simple "good morning...how ya been?" comment might have been just right. Rise up from your 2" status...you did nothing wrong! Ok..off my soapbox! Re; pics of shiney things. It's so easy-peasy you may have a DUH??!!!, like I did...you know that little bright flashy light that makes our pics so bright? It reflects SO bad in Shiney Things...to remedy? Try moving a step or two to the left or right of the object you're attempting to photograph. The flash won't be hitting your shiney stuff right in the shine, plus whatever is in your background, as long as it's not a mirror{!}, will absorb some of the excess flash. Added plus? When you are photographing a mirror, you don't get that pic of yourself with the camera squinted to your eye, and the flash "halo"! End of tutorial...class dismissed! On a different tack...have you been getting weird comments on M-box? Who are they?...I will gladly kick their butts for you...nobody disses our Shara!...Hugs *elaine*

    ReplyDelete
  2. 700?!! Very nice (for us!). GREAT finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the strawberries, I have made a few of them and they do take FOREVER, hence only making a couple! 700 posts, WOW that is amazing! Love all your goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog and all the goodies you find are fabulous. Happy almost 700.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do that all the time, not recognizing someone outside of where I normally see them! It usually takes a couple of hours for me to figure it out!
    Love that old jar, and the Santa cup. I'm still picking those up, and I'm wondering how many is enough!
    That big blue hurricane vase is just gorgeous, and I'm lovin' the blue glass lately too. My mom has some great pieces from the 60s or 70s that I want, but she won't let me have them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 700! I've been reading your blog since you were featured on Cake Wrecks :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers