What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, July 28, 2008

This, That and Those

Here's a post with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes I just have things to say and photos to post.

Saturday, The Bean and I made this Chocolate Walnut - Zucchini Cake. Yes, I said Zucchini. It's awesome. We planted way too much zucchini this year and I literally had a drawerful in the fridge. Sure it's chocolate and sure it's cake, but there are vegetables in it, so I am sure it's healthy.I found some oranges in the bottom of the crisper that were getting pithy, so I threw them out in the backyard for the birds to peck at for some water. Later that night, I went out and noticed the oranges were black - covered in what DH called JuneBugs (Hello, it's July!). There were hundreds of them on those oranges. I did not get too close. Shudder.

I got The Bean registered at school today. He has to take a short test in the morning to see if he needs any special classes (because he was homeschooled, they have to make sure homeschool kids were properly educated...Don't get me started). Anyway, the Principal and Asst. Principal both said hello to him and welcomed him back. He has a new Counselor (today was his first day) and he seems very nice. I am happy to have a completley new person to count on that doesn't know "the story" and have any hangups about The Bean. He is happy to be getting back to "normal" and being with his friends. He's always been a good student in every way, so I know he will do well. (This is a photo from 4th grade with one of his buddies.)

This Spring I sent out various packages of Zinnias to a lot of my blog buddies. The ones I planted are flourishing - they are about chest high and all blooming in the brightest colors. I plant mine specifically to pick. Some people think you should never pick flowers, but I just love them in the house to brighten it up. These are in the kitchen to make my boring chores a bit more perky.
This sweet little notebook was sent to me by Cheryl, who doesn't have a blog yet, but does sell on Etsy. She asked me about a vintage coloring book I had bought at The Sale of Sales becuase she had the same one when she was a child. I sent it to her as a gift, and she made me this sweet little Red Riding Hood Notebook as a thank you. Thank you Cheryl!



Tune into tommorrow for more miscellaneous random ramblings. Like we are going to the movies tomorrow and I am going to the Eye Doctor on Wednesday (Oh, how I hate having my eyes dialated) and getting new brakes on the car later in the week. Ys, it's just one fascinating event after another!

4 comments:

  1. That cakes looks yummy but then I spotted the bugs further down your blog and lost my appetite! I don't like bugs that much.

    Glad you got your boy in the school you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are actually Japanese beetles and are a non-native, invasive species. Real june bugs are also beetles, but they are brown in color and might be native.

    Good Luck Bean in the new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My zinnas are so pretty, all the neighbors comment on them! THOSE BUGS ARE CREEPY!!!!!!! EEEK
    YOU were the big winner of the giveaway! LMK what you want!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Zinnias look great! I planted a bunch out front and some of them are huge!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers