What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Round 2: How Much Did I Pay?

It's America's fastest growing quiz sensation.


How Much Did I Pay?



Today's Loot at Target:


(4) Mini Etch-A-Sketch

(2) Light Up Molecule Balls

(2) Phlat Balls (One already confiscated)

(1) 20Q Game (We love this game!!!)

(1) Moon Sand

(1) Magna Doodle



Total: $5.39 Retail: $53.90



All these things were "hidden" deals at Target. Items that were scanning at the 90% off "Easter" price, but aren't actually "Easter" items. I love going on a deal hunt at Target. I start by visiting my boards such as Fishing for deals to see what deals are being found by other members. I make my list and off we go.


The Moon Sand is a great example of a hidden deal. Moon Sand has names such as Galactic, Solar, Galaxy, etc. But, the seasonal colrs are Grass Green, Petal Pink, etc. Just do a little digging in the display and you just might find one or twenty! The Doodle Pro does have an egg shaped to it, but all the rest of the items are plain old good fun toys. These are great to put back for little gifts, party prizes, etc.


It's really an adrenline rush to see what I can find and how little it will cost. I know people see me walking aorund with a cart full of things, thinking, "My she's spending a lot today" and then my total like it was today is only $17.50.


How did I spend $17.50 when all that only cost $5.39?

Well, I might have accidentally gone down the Easter Aisle and I might have accidentally bought all this stuff too:


Whoops!

See that monkey basket to the right? I mean I seriously needed a monkey basket, right! Some things will be packed up for next year, some will be used in swaps and some will just be given away. The duckie basket will hold my Mom's Mother's day surprises as she has an unusual love of all things duckie. There are two Wilton Chocolate Egg Candy making kits in the back. The Bean has a love of cooking and all things kitchen, so this will be a project for him in the week when schoolwork is getting heavy. The only candy aquisition were the Strawberry Milkshake Whoppers for 19¢. Eeeeew, I thought, but bought them anyway. They are the bomb. Yum-O.

(By the way, thanks for the kudos to The Bean for thinking of "MAIL" out of those letters. Smart, huh?)

So, in the end, I brought home $175.00 worth of things from Target for $17.50. Fun!

6 comments:

  1. THANKS for being a 'guinea pig' and trying out the "Strawberry Milkshake Whoppers"! I've been seeing them around, and as much as I LOVE Whoppers, I hadn't gotten up the nerve to try those babies!!
    Also, I'm loving your idea for putting buttons on the ends of pushpins!!! Do you mind me stealing your idea?? As I keep telling my niece... "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great deals, my closet Target is 30 minutes way so I don't go there as often as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great deal! I love deal hunting at Target too but I usually don't think of it except for Christmas. I should have checked it out for Easter (perhaps I may still get lucky) as I only have a handful of decorations. I love that non-holiday things end up 90% off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bow to the queen! You do come up with the best deals! I have been away from couponing/deals for awhile but HAVE to get back into it.
    Take care!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I went to my local Target to look for the goodies you got and NOTHING! They had peeps and lots of shredded paper and wood filler for baskets, but no toys to be found. Yes, I looked in the reg. toy aisles too.

    Our Target doesn't mark much at 90%, it seems to go 80% and then off to GW, where as you know they are price challenged.

    I can read the code this time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy smolly--I'm going to start following you to Target!! You get the best deals no matter where you are!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers