What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Crafty Sunday

Today I stood in one spot in my kitchen for over six hours and made, made, made.  I like making things, but the getting out of "stuff" is overwhelming.  I don't have a designated crafting area, so I have things stored away in different places throughout the house and in the garage.  I get an idea for what I want or need.  But then I have to go get whatever it is I need at that moment and that takes time away from making.  I wish I had a craft room.  Someday.  After I win the lottery.  (Hey, did I tell you I won $600.00 in the lottery last week?  I won $100.00 one day on a $20.00 scratch-off and then $500.00 the next day on a $5.00 scratch-off!  Wow.  That was exciting!  But, not enough for a craft room......)

Anyway, today I finished up some things I have been working on and started some new projects.  They are all for Christmas and the Holiday Bazaar.  It is so odd to be making things out of season.  I am in full blown Christmas craft nirvana and then I walk into the living room and it is all orange and black with pumpkins.  I usually like to craft with the holidays.  But, in order to make to sell, you have to plan ahead.

I made six JellO/Bundt pan wreaths.  I think they are quirky and fun.  I have to figure out how to hang them up at eh Bazaar so people can see them.   The ones that I bought already painted?  Well, I just used them as they were.  The blue one was this copper colored, but it had faded to this weird pale pink coppery color., so I sprayed it turquoise.  I kind of love it now. *Eh gads, our front door needs a power washing......
These collages have been an ongoing project over the past few weeks.  The just have random things in them, but I think each one ties together.  I glittered the frames and then sealed them with a clear spray I found at Lowe's.  The glitter stays put on the frames and doesn't make a mess anymore.  The little green choir boys is pretty simple - just sheet music and an old greeting card image.  The line from "Elf" is for us to keep.  I LOVE the movie Elf.  It makes me happy.  
An ornament encrusted wreath.  I have enough ornaments to make a dozen of these, but I am in low supply of wreath forms.  I keep looking for them at the thrifts, but I haven't seen any.  I could *gasp* go to a RETAIL STORE, but what fun is that?  And that would affect my pricing too.  

And, lastly this frame is covered in real glass German Glitter and then lightly sealed.  I trimmed the tree so it would lie flat then added some vintage glass mini ornaments and the wee deer.  The "Let it Snow" piece was an after Christmas sale find last year.  I like to use all vintage, but sometimes, something NEW that looks vintage works well enough for people that just like the "look".  

Ad for my feet in that last photo.  Well, I just cannot believe I left my FEET in a photo and actually put it on here for you to see.  I have such at THING about feet in photos.  Don't even get me started about photos that are JUST FEET.  Gack.  So, please forgive my feet in that photo.  I am just too tired and too lazy to crop them out tonight.  They probably have paint and glitter on them anyway......

Did you make anything this weekend?


14 comments:

  1. I love Elf, too. It makes me laugh. I like things that make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glitter on the feet is Much better than Hot glue!!
    Lovin' the Funky Colored Bundt Pan Wreaths!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I did last weekend was work - but I must tell you that I am VERY impressed with the results of YOUR labors! I absolutely LOVE your framed creations - if I ever find the time, I may have to sort-of-steal a few of your fab ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the wreath with all the dimensional ornaments on it and I never would have thought to trim a bottle brush tree flat like that. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wreaths are very cool. Great job on everything! I chuckled at your "gasp" about going retail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure what you use for the base of your wreaths, but I have seen where they use the foam noodles, for swim pools, and curve into a base, wrap in something, or the insulation for pipes in winter??? Maybe this is an idea for you??? Love all your crafts, I have to get crafting, have a booth in 3 weeks, yikes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, love everything but the framed items are super cute and I could do that! Oh I'm one of those 'feet' photo taking persons. LOL! I take a photo of my feet to prove I was somewhere...silly I know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute stuff you are making! I'm doing a show at two of my grandkids school on November 14th. This weekend I made more cards and set aside ten for that. It's good to make more than 1 or 2 of something if you have to drag out all your supplies!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, Shara, you are seriously talented in the crafty arena. I love everything you make! Those wreaths are ingenious. We will have the best-looking table in the place!

    For display..wonder if we could find a free-standing hat rack and put pegs all the way down instead of just at the top and hang your wreaths/framed items from that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I swear we're separated at birth. When I was at the thrift store today they had a ridiculous number of jello molds and I was thinking of what to make with them. Nothing popped into my head, so I left them all there. May have to run on back before some jello loving person comes through!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good crafting marathon! I think I always have glitter somewhere on me..perhaps even leave a trail each day as I go about! I worked in the studio this weekend too - spun heads and wreaths were on my list to make.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you using your shade cover? If so, "S" hooks with string/wire you could hang with. Or I've seen lattice leaning on a wall with the items displayed. The jello wreaths are super cute - who would have thunk it??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love it! The wreaths are just terrific (and turquoise is my favorite color!) and the tree on the picture frame is just perfect! NOW you have me wanting to shove all my Halloween stuff away an strike out the Christmas dec's!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm. Everything looks just wonderful! Very clever cutting the tree in half to mount in your frame. I am lucky enough to have a craft room. It doubles as a spare bedroom, but I decorated it on the cheap! My next project for my craft room is replacing the crummy banquet table with a very shabby one made from porch posts (free) and pickets taken down from my daughter's room! I'm excited to get started!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers