What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Recent Thrifty Finds

I ventured out on my own today for about an hour to see what I could find in people's driveways.  I came across a neighborhood sale about four blocks from my house, so I was able to hit about eight sales in forty five minutes.  Not a bad day  out!  I spent a total of $5.00 and came home with 13 nice books - some older and some newer plus, four huge brand new rolls of clear contact paper, an ornament for The Bean of Santa riding a pig (he has a pig themed tree) and three vintage craft sets - all of which weren't especially photo worthy, but still good deals.

This,  however was photo worthy.
Not the best photo, but it is a very sweet baby quilt.  These seem to be my latest love.  I had paid for the craft kits, when I spotted a box with a blanket sticking out of it.  I have learned to dig in those boxes for vintage tablecloths and linens.  I spotted the old fabric and grabbed it so no one else would get it.  Of course, no one else was even looking at that box, but I felt I had a treasure and it was all miiiiiiine!  Then I had to ask the dreaded, "How much?" question.  Luckily the answer was only $1.00.  The lady took it from me and unfurled it to look at it then she said, "I don't even know where this came from.  It's really old, huh?"  Then she just tossed it at me, so I got out of there.  :D
The entire back is this sweet soft old faded fabric.  I never used to be a fabric person. But, I just love these old worn prints.  The love and time someone took to make this for a baby.  It's just too sweet.

I stopped at a thrift while I was out too.  I found this carved wooden roly poly Uncle Sam signed by James Haddon. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it. 

Especially since I had just bought this giant Uncle Sam signed by James Haddon at the very same thrift last week.  I wonder what I will find next week!

The Christmas items are starting to appear at the thrifts too.  I scored this box of Jewelbrite ornaments for 50¢ at Goodwill.  The Santa was at the thrift today.  I have a couple other Santa's like that one already, but this one has a little something extra.

 BLING!
A gold glittered shirt.  It's like Liberace Santa.  I had to have him.
I bought a quilted tote bag for 25¢ last weekend at a church sale. When I got home, I realized that the quilt square was hand sewn on very loosely, so I clipped the thread and rescued the quilt square.  More of those soft old fabrics again....

 I thought this was just a piece of fabric when I first spotted it in a box at a yard sale last weekend.  When I realized it was a tablecloth, I thought it was a new one from Wal-Mart because it had deep creases in it and looked brand new.
But, then I spotted the Simtex label and knew I had found a wonderful vintage tablecloth in pristine condition - and for only $1.00. 

I got this teeny bottle brush tree at the thrift today.  It's only about three inches tall and still has all it's glitter and snow on it.  (Nice photo there in front of my ten pound jug of jelly beans I bought at Sam's Club today, right?)

The Neighborhood Sale that I found today should have twice as many participants tomorrow, so I will most likely go back.  (Oh, you know I am going back, who am I trying to kid?) 

Hope YOU find something good this weekend!
(I posted the Renuzit winners on that post - go look!)

5 comments:

  1. I LIKE the tree and the jelly beans - EVERYTHING goes better with JELLY BEANS!!!!

    THANKS for hosting the Great giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my you had a VERY good day. I love that old quilt, the colors and fabrics are so sweet! Also love your Uncle Sam's, those are really great. I'm in the junkin mood now! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found some fabulous things. That sweet baby quilt is so precious. The work that someone put into making that is really to be appreciated. Love the Santa and ornaments, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome quilt!!! What a great day of thrifting and sales! You got some great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That house block is BEGGING you to make it part of a mini quilt wall...you know you want to drink that kool aid!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers