What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Halloween

I swear, it seems like Halloween has been coming forever this year. I dilly and dallied around and didn't think I would ever get my Halloween stuff out this year, now it's been out awhile and we still have a week to go.  Before we know it, it will be time to take it all down, muddle around for a few weeks and then Ba-ling out the house with Shiny Brites and Putz houses and PINK trees!  :D  But, until then, Halloween is still on the way.
Top of my favorite cabinet - Gurley candles in a cloche, silly things abound.  Love that Jack O' Lantern on a Pedestal.  I prefer vintage, but vintage inspired is okay too.
My Halloween Tree.  This is the first year I have had a Halloween tree and I love it!  I had miscellaneous things to put on it, but participating in Sarah's Halloween Swap really helped fill it up.  I like the white tree and think things "pop" on it better than a black tree.

One of my glittered party hats fits on top just perfect and adds a quirky bit of fun. 

Fun stuff.  Quirky stuff.  Old stuff.  New stuff.  Picture of Baby Bean in the Pumpkin Pile. 

I don't like the creepy scary side of Halloween, but this is my attempt at a "scary" display.  Ouja Board, old Poison Bottles, spiders, scary photos and happy fun noisemakers.  Well, I tried.  I just had to add some happy in there.

Goodies on the shelf.  Love those silhouettes - you can print your own here: Halloween Printables.
Little stuff on the old grate.  Photos of my Mom and her brothers trick or treating, gifts from friends.


Mish mash of leftovers when I was getting tired.  :) I found that mercury pumpkin and tall foil cat this summer.
I kind of always forget that the lamp is full of Christmas Ornaments, so that sort of blows the whole Halloween theme.  Oh well.  That pumpkin was white, but I glittered it last week.  I used a cutting board that is for crafting only, but it must have rubbed against the good cutting board, because I noticed that tonight our celery was glittery. 

Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

  1. Your stuff is way cool! I know what you mean about the long Halloween season this year...I put mine out in the middle of September! Have fun enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure have a lot of Halloween stuff - bet you have even more Christmas.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your Halloween displays!! We are very low key when it comes to holiday decorating these days. I used to go all out, but my guys are scrooges and complained too much so I packed the majority of it away and only have little accents out here and there. So thanks for sharing yours with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! Everything is very vintagey. :)

    Oh and I blew my nose on Sunday and glitter came out so I feel your pain . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it all! I have been wanting an old Ouija board forever (I look at every thrift I wander into) and am now considering just making one. I think it looks fabulous with your "creepy" things!

    I, sadly, only put up two items. One is a new (vintage) pumpkin I thrifted over the summer (that never got put away) and a blowmold pumpkin and cat I have. Lyndon (my youngest) found an anatomical model in my office and decided we needed to add it (and I must say it looks great! The boy inherited his mom's junky genes). I also placed owls here and there. To me, it all looks a bit bare.

    Can't wait to drool over your Christmas displays!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers