What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Our House is a Very, Very Fine House

This morning I was drinking my coffee and looking at Craigslist and I saw that there were THREE yard sales in my tiny, tiny town.  And before you knew it, lickety split, I was dressed and on the prowl.  I never found the first one and the second one appeared to be a MANLY sale consisting of camo this and camo that so I didn't even stop.  I was going to just give up and go on out to my beloved Super Cheap Thrift, but I decided to double back and try to find the third sale.  As soon as I spotted the house, I recognized it as my favorite mail clerks Dad's house.  I pulled in and found tables and a trailer full of old stuff.  And it was cheap.  She said, "You should have come yesterday.  We had ten times this much."  Craaaaaap.  Then she told me that she quit the Post Office.  Double crap. She was my girl.  :(  Then she said, "Gather up what you want and just take it.  I'm done."  Uh, whut? So, I rummaged around and found a couple of small boxes of things and begged her to take some money.  She finally said one dollar and I said, "Take two".  That way, no guilt on my part when I sell some of it.  Besides, she was my Post Office girl - she KNOWS I sell junk.  So, now that I have told you all this and have you all in a tither - I don't have any photos YET.  Nothing was spectacular - but just enough stuff to make the middle of the winter NO yard sale doldrums go away.  (I will take photos in the light of day tomorrow.)

When I was done there, I headed on out to The Super Cheap Thrift.  In the past few years, that place has been as busy as Walmart on Christmas Eve - I mean it is PACKED this time of year.  So, I generally don't go as often as I would like to go due to the crowds and the fact that a lot of people are actually in there trying to buy things as presents for their kids.  I try not to take things away from people that need it.  But then again, they probably aren't really on the hunt for one pinecone elf or one one lone spun head.  So, I don't think I am taking Christmas from the children.  

But, then again.  Maybe I am.  
*cough*

I walked by the toys area and sitting on the floor was this dollhouse.  I could only see the back where it is open, so I walked around to see the front.  that is when I realized it was solid wood and very well made.  Shake shingle roof, wood siding, front porch, etc.  Sure it was missing the door and a couple of window panes, a few pieces of trim and a piece of gingerbread along the roof.  I knew that could all be fixed.  But, could I afford it?


 TWO DOLLARS.  Are you KIDDING ME?  
Sorry tiny girl that wrote Santa asking for a dollhouse this year.  
This old lady is buying it.  

I heaved it up and hauled it to the front counter and parked it by the register with a big SOLD sign on it.  When I paid for it the lady at the register said, with a high squeak, "THEY PRICED THAT TWO DOLLARS?"  Uh yea, be quiet......don't draw attention to it, lady.  

From the moment I saw it I envisioned it at The Junk Ranch holding old books and junk and being for sale as well.  Or in the booth up on the top shelf with a nice price on it.  Yep, it was a money maker for sure.

I brought it in the house and our house Minion Kevin took a tour.  

I cleaned it up and took it back outside and headed to the shed with it.  

BUT WAIT.  Those colors.  It looks sort of Christmas-y!

I set it on an old red metal shelf on the porch.  It looked l kind of bare, so I added some lights, a "blow-up" blowmold Santa and a tree.  Then I added Santa and the reindeer on the roof.  

And, just like that.  Something I never knew existed a few hours ago has now become one of my favorite things.  EVER.  And, all for $2.00.  Now, I ask you - how else can you have $2.00 worth of fun in this day and age?  


*(Do they still have those vibrating beds in hotels that run on quarters?  That's a fun $2.00.  But, I'd still take this dollhouse over that.  Sorry, Breadman)

Oh look!  I added a tree to the window.  I bet you a doughnut I have lights on the eaves before tomorrow night.  But, I could be wrong.  

Yes, I like it.  I like it A LOT.  

Two dollars!

Thanks Santa.

Sorry little girl. 

17 comments:

  1. awesome post! love the dollhouse! You should decorate it for all the holidays....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I'm seeing it 'decked' as a Haunted House for HALLOWEEN :-) !!
    What is Hazel stylin' these days? We haven't seen anything of her in a while!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is that why I saw a little girl crying in the parking lot? She kept mumbling something about her dolls being homeless :)

    But hey, that is just about the cutest dollhouse I've seen and you're right, it is just made for Christmas decorating. Santa was very very good to you this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's Christmas magic. Santa wanted you to have this house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the thrifting world, it's definitely a free for all! So don't feel bad about getting to it first. Little girls in this day and age want the plastic Barbie crap anyways. At least this beauty will be appreciated!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is yours! I mean you have to keep this...just think of the fun you will have with it. I think a little girl would be much happier with a nice plastic Fisher Price doll house so don't feel bad! $2 that is an amazing score! I'm in love with it and will be so disappointed if you sell it, so there! Merry Christmas!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect find for you! I have the same problem in that things I see and buy to sell, I don't. I definitely think you should keep this doll house! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. A-MAZING score!!! I'm sure little girl wanted a modern plastic one. This one might have splinters so no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You crack me up! And that is an awesome score! I was just looking at one almost exactly like that at an antique store and they were asking $200! Ho Ho oh to you, now you don't have to go sit on santas lap and ask for one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a great score and you can keep it and still use it as a prop when you sell. Definitely a great Christmas addition

    ReplyDelete
  12. A little girl DID get the dollhouse! And this little girl appreciates it and knows what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes Santa works in mysterious ways..... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well that's settled. You have no choice now, the consensus has decided for you. You have to admit though that it is pretty awesome and a keeper to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are the little girl who got that dollhouse for Christmas. It is wonderful! I am glad you are keeping it.

    xo Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are too funny! You must have been hyperventilating when you saw the price! Love it on the porch. A keeper for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your site! I read every single word on this page, it's 5:30 in the morning but it was so interesting that I couldn't stop!!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers