What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thank You's and Other Stuff

Hi.  I really wanted to thank everyone for the so very nice comments that you have been leaving.  I had already been feeling the love from all the postcards everyone had been sending to me and The Bean.  And, then everything happened here and I got even MORE love from all of you.  I really can feel it and I appreciate it so much.  No one from The "Bread"man's family has even called or left a Facebook message to him.  Kind of breaks my heart.  But, I had him read all the comments on here and all the messages on Facebook and it really helped him feel better.  Yesterday we went grocery shopping at Wal-Mart, which was his first and biggest stop of the day.  For some reason, half the people hadn't put two and two together until they saw him in civilian clothes shopping on a Monday.  The other half came running up and telling him what a great guy he is, asking for his number to pass on to someone that they know, etc.  One guy walked past and simply said, "Hey Breadman".  He said, "Not anymore".  Then the guys face just fell as he figured it out.  Then he said, "You're the hardest working guy I've ever known."  All that meant a lot to him.  So, thank you to everyone.  He signed up for unemployment because he has a right to it and now the job hunt begins.  He has some lines on a few things.  Need to hold out for the right amount of money or close to it - can't afford to take just any job.  But, that's the point of unemployment - it allows you to find the RIGHT job.  He has  a leg in with another bread company, so the Breadman might just remain.  This time with Sara Lee.  Which for me, Shara Lee, that is just plain WEIRD!  He does need a job, but I have told him to relax a bit - it's really only been two days that he hasn't had a job.  He's been sleeping about 12 hours a night, so I know he's exhausted.  

Saturday night we went to see the jolly old elf at our first Christmas parade which got me into the spirit big time!  Tomorrow begins the switching out of regular stuff into full on CHRISTMAS mode.  Woot!  The Breadman has a Razorback game to go to on Friday, so I can get some things done without him following me around.  (Yes, friends, he has only been home four days, but he is beginning to get on my nerves.)  MOney might be a bit tight, but to me, Christmas has never been about presents - it's about decorating the house, Christmas music, baking cookies, being together, etc.  (Oh, I do like presents, but it's just NOT all about the presents.)  

I worked at the Flea market today and the Christmas stuff is flying out the door - not only my stuff, but from all the booths.  They told me that one lady came in on Saturday - she drove to that town to come to that store to come to MY booth because she knew I would have vintage Christmas out.  :)  She spent $50.00!  Woot again!  I have a lot in there, but I hope I can keep finding more to put out.  We may be short a job over here, but I still have to get my thrift on!  (It is how I contribute, of course.)  

Today I took a load of blowmolds out to the booth.  I bought all of these this summer at one sale.  I had to keep the Snowmen and the Santa, but the rest are out there.  I hope someone else appreciates blowmolds.  I also took two huge wreaths that hung out side JCPenney's.  My Dad bought them when they built a new store.  They are about five feet tall and super nice.  
Do you remember my beloved vintage PINK tree?  Well, gulp, I've put it on ebay.  I do love it, but I have never actually worked it into my decorating scheme.  'Tis the season for vintage Christmas items, so I listed it.  I did put a fat Reserve on it, which I really don't like doing.  But, I'm not willing to just give the darn thing away.  It's a beaut and I hope it goes to a good home.  My Mom said, "Stop panicking and stop selling your stuff!"  (This was after a full day of listing on ebay, Etsy, YSJunkies and Craigslist).  But, I'm not.  It's just the ideal time to list a lovely vintage PINK tree.  *Sniff* :)

Ok, again - Thanks so much!!!  You guys really are wonderful!!!

15 comments:

  1. NOT YOUR PINK TREE!!!!!
    YOU. WILL. FIND. A. SPOT.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to come upon those blow molds in a shop, I would definitely be buying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are feeling optimistic
    that will help more everything forward.
    I would have sold the tree I see what your bids are now. It is cute but give me a green tree any day.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart sank when I read you had put the pink tree on - I know it's money and all but........

    Am glad you can share our feelings with your husband - you all need a hug!

    Can't write too much today - am having everyone here tonight and as usual am behind the power curve. Next up grocery list. Have already got the turkey and it's thawed!

    I hope you are sleeping at night, too - take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been thinking about you since I saw your heartbreaking post. On facebook, I posted how devastating the Hostess closing is, not to listen to the Twinkie jokes. I understand about selling the pink tree. Karma will happen; in the future, another will come to you. My fingers are crossed for a good job and sending positive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will be OK! I know you love your junk and love to sell your junk but I agree with your mom don't panic! Wishing you a lovely Thanksgiving! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear things are a little brighter or at least the shock has worn off. Hope your auction items bring big bucks but that you get to keep the pink tree! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As someone who has been unemployed for up to 2 years my thrifting was what supplemented my unemployment so I had no problem selling items that I would of rather kept for my collections.

    I would never hesitate to sell everything I own if I was up against the wall and no one else should be either.

    Its just STUFF.


    Hope your husband finds work soon...it sounds like he has great connections so I know he will.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing wrong with getting unemployment. My husband was on it for over two years. You do what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And life goes on. We are still rooting for you guys. Perhaps the thrifting gods will shower wealth down upon you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lot of people don't understand about unemployment is that you are actually receiving your own money back. It's withheld out of each and every paycheck and that's what you are receiving back. It's not welfare. He's entitled to it. I used it when we first moved to Oklahoma from Texas and it helped until I was able to find a job. It's not as much as the previous salary was, but it might mean the difference between no food on the table and being able to feed your family. So don't worry about it, he's earned it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blow molds! Blow molds! Blow molds! If I were closer to you I'd be down at your booth scooping them all up! Keep your chin up--all will be well sooner than you think!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Gosh!! Those little deer blow molds just melted my heart! *lol*
    Those will FOR SURE be on my "To accumulate list" *hehe*

    If that pink tree does not hit the reserve you REALLY need to keep it for yourself. It's quite sweet!

    Wishing the best to you and your family. It's great to know the breadman might be able to stay "the breadman" =D

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your pink tree! At least you got to "foster"it for a while, and now it's time for it to find it's forever home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bless your heart! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers