What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

MORE Thrifty Finds...I'm on a Roll!

If the past week is any indication of what junk lies in store for me this year - it's going to be a good year.  It's been a long winter and I need some JUNK.  More to sell than to keep - but JUNK, nonetheless.

This glass, or vase, or whatever it is is just weird.  It says FOR JUST on the top and ABOUT ANYTHING on the bottom.  All around the sides it says all sort of "J" words like JuJuBee's, Jerky, Jigsaw Blades, Jalopy Keys and my favorite - JUNK.  It was $1.25 with 25% off, so once I saw JUNK, I knew I had to have it.  I may use it to hold flowers this Spring.  What type of flowers?  Why JONQUILS, of course!  :D
This old match holder with an owl on it will go to the booth. 

As I walked around the thrift store, I kept spotting different pieces of pottery scattered about.  Since the price was right, I gathered them all up, then cut some of them when I saw they were just Mexico pottery.  But I was lucky enough to find three great pieces in the mix.  The round one is Niloak which was made in Arkansas in from 1909 to 1946.  The middle piece is Nemadji Pottery which was made in Minnesota in the 1930's to 2000.  The small piece is Silver Springs Pottery made in Florida in the 1930's.  I already have teh Nemadji piece listed on ebay, I am keeping the Nilaok since it was made so close to home and I am still researching the Silver Springs piece.

Speaking of ebay.  I have been picking up Scrabble games for a few years.  I have been dumping the letter tiles into a big gallon jar and it finally got full.  Today, I made the boys help me count, sort and alphabetize all those tiles.  I ended up with 1026 tiles.  I listed them on ebay tonight with a starting bid of $59.99 (I never start for much over $9.99 due to the fees, but right now listings are FREE, so I decided to aim high).  Anyway, I had a BID on them within NINE minutes.  So, grab up those Scrabble tiles!  And sell them!  FYI the racks are worth selling, too).

10 comments:

  1. Worth the agony of sorting and counting it sounds like.Yeah you!I've had a couple of Nemadji bowls over the years - the marbleized swirls are interesting.2011 - the year of junk?!!!Oh wait, that's EVERY year around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 3 pieces of pottery you found, especially the one in the middle. I never find much pottery here, usually it's just art student castoffs or slightly junky '70s stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore that glass that can be used for just about anything. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your blocks don't sell on ebay, throw them in your ETSY shop - PRONTO!! I sold 65/$25 in a matter of hours ~ I know ETSY has you down right now, but those might brighten your spirit. AND they are an EASY ship in a flat rate box!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow on the scrabble tiles! I have a couple of sets but wow! Love the pottery, very interesting. I'm ready to go thrifting, I need a fix for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Send some good junkin vibes over this way! The pickin's have been awfully slim here lately!!

    Don't forget to let us know what the final bid was on the scrabble pieces!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so jealous about those pots! Niloak in the thrift store? Wow--obviously someone just wanted to get rid of them and you were there at the right moment. That's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, I just picked up a Scrabble game today!

    The pottery is gorgeous. Was the Mexican pottery the floral type (bright colors with flowers?) I love those and I think they have become desirable as I hardly ever find them anymore (used to score them by the dozens!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always good finds. I would have never thought with scrabble tiles I find them all the time at the dump. I guess I will be picking them up for sure.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. hiya , lovin your blog x about your scrabble tiles i always say words are priceless ( but not on ebay lol)ihave only just started blogging but i loooooove anything reused and repurposed so maybe you might pop by ?tfs
    www.emilysnan.blogspot.com
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers