What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, February 07, 2011

Cake Wrecks Part II

I am always looking for cakes to submit to Cake Wrecks.  I have found several and submitted them, but they haven't always shown up on the website.  I usually find holiday cakes after the fact, so Cake Wrecks saves them until the next year, if they are good enough, that is. 

After the 4th of July in 2009 (yes, 2009), I spotted this doozy:

I thought it rather looked like......well, you can see it...can't you....Uh, testicles?  Like Great Balls of Fire? 

So, I snapped a photo and submitted it.  But, I never saw it again.

Until today!  I went to Barnes and Noble to use my $20.00 gift card (that I got from Groupon for $10.00).  As we were paying, I noticed that calendars were 75% off just as The Bean spotted the Cake Wrecks 2011 calendar.  Since it was only going to be $2.00, I grabbed it and added it to my order.

When we got in the car, we were looking through it and looky, looky, looky at the July 2011 page:

Exploding balls - heh heh heh.

So, my Birthday cake was in the Cake Wrecks book and now this one in the calendar.  My dream is to be published. 

Does this count????

((No, but it's still FUN!)

7 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I can't believe they didn't let you know it was going to be in there. You do find some doozies! (And in all honesty, my first thought was more of multi-colored b00bs with fire coming out the top!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I believe it DOES count. You go girl. Just goes to show that they were saving it for something really special.
    I thought boobs too. But the other is much more fitting.
    Thanks for the early morning laughs.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. They DO give you credit somewhere, don't they???!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of Cake Wrecks so now I'm going to check that out! How funny and I hope you got credit for that photo also. Published is published in my opinion!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shara, you are so cool! Congratulations on having done something I only dream of...having your photography published! You go girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! How fun was that to see your photo in the calendar?!?! Thanks for the laughs! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers