What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Accidental Collection: Baby Quilts & Baby Blankets

Another collection of items I never set out to collect.  One here, one there, a few family treasures and BAM you have a collection:  Vintage Baby Quilts.  (Mine is in the Cedar Chest and impossible to dig out at this late hour). 
This one is actually The Breadman's Baby Quilt.  Made by his Grandma.  It's bedraggled, but it is the only item from his entire childhood that he brought to our marriage.


This is The Bean's Baby Quilt.  Made by his Great-Grandma.  The Breadman's Grandma.  Notice the exact same Sunbonnet Sue embroidery.  I think having these two quilts together is super special.

 The Bean's Baby Pendleton Blanket.  Given to him by my Mom and StepFather.
The green is one side.

The back is red. 
He used to take this to powwow and hang it on the back of his chair - just like a big guy. 
*sniff*

As for thrifted baby quilts:
This sweet embroidered baby blanket was $2.00 at the thrift one day. 
How could anyone a) get rid of it or b) sell it for $2.00? 

I especially love that sunbathing baby with her duckie. 

This sweet little quilt is made out of four child's sized hankerchiefs. 


Such a sweet little noseblower.

I love this old quilt with it's block pattern and pale green fabrics. 
But, as cute as this is - it's the back!

Here's the front.  Ack.  Pure cuteness.

Bunnies!  Does it get any better than Bunnies?????

This one doesn't really fit in with the cutie-pie ones.  But, I think it's pretty special.  It's made of pieces of old flannel from shirts, suits, etc.  Either someone was very resourceful or someone made a quilt out of Grandpa's old shirts for the baby. 


Lastly, a wonderful hand tied quilt made of wee squares of lots of tiny prints. 

Baby Quilts:  Another reason to look everywhere at the thrifts.  I have NO reason to even be in the baby department.  But, I always look for vintage baby blankets and quilts.
 
(It's nearly zero outside, we have about ten inches of snow with a couple inches of ice and sleet under that.  BUT WE HAVE POWER so all is well!)  KNOCK WOOD. :D
 

5 comments:

  1. What great baby quilts. If the power does go down you could always snuggle under those lovely quilts to keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter got a vintage baby quilt as a gift for her new baby. It is so cute.
    cathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the baby quilts! I have a couple my Mom made for my girls. I got out one the other day to wash for the Grandbaby on the way! oh and I love 'accidental collections'...now that would be a fun party sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you feeling as housebound as I do? I'm going stir crazy and taking the family with me! We got over 1 1/2 feet of snow.

    Love the quilts, that would be a fun collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quilts! What a nice memory of the Breadman's grandma - they are so sweet.

    And power is a great thing to have, especially when it is cold outside. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers