What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Not My Usual Decor

Every year at Christmas time, I box up my entire living room except for the furniture pieces. (Actually, I even take some of the furniture out of the room too.) It's a huge job, but I do it because I love my Christmas stuff soooo much. This year I decided to get an early start of it and stat boxing things up this weekend. Don't worry, I'm not putting the tree up.....yet. Ha.
I decided to go all out with my Halloween decorating this year. I usually just put a few things out in a few areas, but this year I am making the entire living room a Halloween Wonderland. I've participated in a number of Halloween Swaps in the past few years and received some lovely handmade items from my partners. I've also been gifted some lovely items from my blog buddies, so I am excited to get it all out and have a look at it again this year.
This is the only area that I completed today. It really isn't my usual sort of decor - but I've seen similar things on different blogs and decided to give it a try. I incorporated all my creepy-ish cabinet photos (doesn't that lady on the left look like a witch?), old clocks, flower frogs, a quickly made bottle of poison and a sign that says, "It's Time for Halloween!" to make a different sort of vignette than I usually do. But, really do like it.

The rest of the room will be full of orange and black glitter-y goodness. Because that is what I truly like! More photos to come...

9 comments:

  1. Hey Shara...I really like your "Not my usual decor"...looks great! Re: previous post $20.00?? for all that cool awesome stuff??? Shara scores again...HUGH time!!! :o} My yard sale is this Saturday, and I hope to score hugh time on the recieving end! I've worked myself to a sweaty frazzle {it's still in the high 90's here}geeting stuff to the house where sale will be held. Ads & signs today, and all our glorious goodies go out for sale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that look too, but also never seem to get around to it. LOL

    (Glad to see I am not the only one who boxes up a lot of our regular house come Halloween. We don't see it again until January!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny! I just did a post on how I didn't feel like boxing up all my stuff for Halloween! But I DO for Christmas. We even have to through a piece of furniture in the attic in order to fit the tree somewhere!
    That is not normally my look either, but I'm loving it this year too, especially the old photos of the witchy-looking women and the old bottles. Yours looks great!
    Happy Columbus Day!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your display. So haunting in its look. Sea Witch

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creepy, yet cute, display! No one is in the Fall/Halloween spirit down here because it's just too dang hot and humid--it's supposed to cool off for the weekend so maybe we'll be able to get in the spirit of the season. In the meantime, I'll just have to be satisfied with looking at blogs with Halloween-y stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all your not ususal stuff, arranged perfectly!! Great blog, Blessings, Janna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the vintage look of your Halloween decor.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers