What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, December 19, 2008

A Few Santas

I know Blogland is absolutely full of Christmas photos right now. And, people might be getting tired of them. But, I'm still enjoying visiting the different blogs and seeing all the vintage goodies that are out there. It gives me an opportunity to make a "Look for that next year while I am out saling and thrifting" list. I certainly am a greedy gal when it comes to Vintage Christmas. I want, I want, I want. Gimmee, Gimmee, Gimmee.


I have a lot of Santa's, and this year I culled out a lot of them. I have a definite style and taste now so I only want those sort of items in my midst. The ones I no longer want were donated to the thrift immediately before I changed my mind. Here are three Santa's that will never, ever be donated. Ever. This old rubber faced Santa is huge. Really, too big for my small house, but By George, I make room for him every year and he has a special place in the garage for storage so he WILL remain mine forever.

He stands nearly four feet tall. I found him in my favorite yardsaling town where all the houses are houses are tiny, crammed full of vintage goodies and the people selling their items have no idea what they actually have strewn out on the lawn. I spotted the big Santa thrown out on a tarp and ran to rescue him. He was only $2.00 for all that vintage Santa-ness! A keeper, for sure!
I found this Vintage Santa drawing by the Bean in a box the other day. I decided to frame it and make it part of the Annual Christmas Decor. He was in Kindergarten when he drew this. His initials are C.S. (Looks like a "J" there though). S.C. is Santa Claus. I remember when he brought it home he was frustrated that Santa's Beard was half red. I sat him down and showed him how to color it in so Santa would have a white beard. "OH!" he said as he "got it."
And, my very favorite Santa of all....The Bean. This was taken on Christmas Eve several years ago (He was 7) as we were waiting on my Mom and Stepfather to arrive for Christmas Eve festivities. That is a vintage Santa Suit he is wearing. He looked so darn cute sitting out on our bench wearing that Santa suit. He's still cute, but I sure do miss that little guy!

2 comments:

  1. The last Santa picture you posted is so cute! I love your Santa collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kids art is The Best!! I have a picture that my nephew drew when he was little. It is of a Chicago Bulls player - he labelled it 'BULLS'... his 'u' looks like an 'a' - we still have a good laugh about it!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers