What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Can You Spot The Difference?

Do you remember those Hocus Focus cartoons in the comic section? Can you spot five differences in the two photos? There would be a drawing of a room, and in one picture there would be a picture of a bowl of fruit on the wall, and in the other picture there would be a picture of a goat on the wall. Remember?

We are playing Hocus Focus around here everyday. Well, I am anyway.

Would you like to play along? We'll start with an easy one.


Yesterday.......


Today......
Okay, that was an easy one.

Let's try another one.

The clock cabinet as photographed yesterday.
And today.


Hmmmmm. What about that greenery? And that vintage bottle brush tree? Did you find all three? Yeah!

So, now you are feeling pretty confident, aren't you? Not so fast......
Yesterday's Dime Store display....
Today's display.

Let's just say, I found a LOT more stuff to add to it. And, now I think it's perfect!

Until I find something else to cram in there.

Let's see...I added the cupcake picks, wind-up Santa, candy containers, lollipop holders and the funny old Nativity sets.


Here I added the candy container boots, Shiny Brite ornies in the boot and the Melodee Christmas Bells box. I got those bells in a swap box a few years ago and I was floored to get something so fantastic. The bells are aluminum and the same colors as those old ,metal tumblers that froze to your lip when you drank out of them. I put the bells on my vintage tree, but I am thinking they might look better int he box. (But, I won't photograph it if I do. Maybe).

What did I add here? More candy containers and a little plastic Santa and reindeer in the tree.

Do you add to your displays and rearrange them? I reconfigure and change it around and then *suddenly* it's perfect.

I realized why I love my Christmas things so much. Actually all my holiday items for that matter. If I get them out on December 1st and box them up on January 1st - I have only seen my pretties for a total of 31 days. I see my regular stuff 30 days a month for 11 months out of the year, so that is equivalent to 11 years in Christmas months. So, no wonder I am anxious to see it each year. But what if I saw my Christmas stuff all year long? Would I be longing to see my regular stuff?

*A note to Barbara at Oodles and Oodles - your comment about my Dime Store Display absolutely made my week. To think that something I did impressed you - the Queen of vintage, the Queen of Holiday.......Yowza! (And to the rest of you that liked it too - THANK YOU!)

5 comments:

  1. I was just thinking recently that we love decorating at Christmas because it is the only time of the year that our husbands don't think we are completely off our rockers with the decorating! It's the perfect excuse to go completely overboard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't playing with our 'toys' fun?!

    ...and a note to Shannon, YES- DH does think I'm completely off my rocker at Xmas time TOO! But, he's good and humours me 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks Fab! I am frantically trying to get my decorations up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:07 PM

    OK, now you made my week, so we're even - I like this! xo Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im comin to yhour place , I just love everything!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers