What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, December 01, 2006

Rain, Flood, Ice, Sleet, Snow

That's what we had yesterday. First it rained and it rained and it rained some more - nearly 5 inches of the wet stuff. The streets flooded, the creek flooded, the ditches flooded - everything was flooded. Then it got cold and it got cold fast. So, the wet stuff turned to ice. Then it started sleeting. And sometime last night, it all turned to snow. I was on pins and needles all day yeterday knowing DS was at school and an ice storm was being forecasted. Finally, the schools wised up and decided to dismiss at 1:00. All the 5th gaders went to the office to call home. I have never known them to do that before! When I answered the phone and it was DS, I didn't know what was going on. He has never called me from school before so it really threw me for a loop! I went and got him and we came home to hunker down for the worse. But, oddly enough even though the temperatures never got past 25 degrees, it is all nearly melted away. At least he got a snow day out of it since school was cancelled all day today.
I made this wreath last week. Is is covered with all the wonderful vintage Shiny Brite oraments I have been finding at the thrifts lately. The colors don't show as beautiful on the picture as they are in person. I used fucshia, turquoise and green ornaments. I thought about adding a bow, but decided against it. I think that would make it too froo-froo. I put in on the bedroom door just to take this photo. It is in the living room above my little grocery store village.
I am slowly decorating the house. I got a great new tree at the thrift on Wednesday. It is tall and skinny with a real bark trunk. It reminds me of a Victorian tree. So, I spent most of the day sorting my goodies looking for the old glass balls that I have been picking up here and there over the years. I also had a brand new box of "Victorian style" bulbs that look old, so I used them. I had several paper maiche houses to add to it and a bunch of paper maiche people too. I even hid a glass pickle ornament like the Victorians did! I'll post a photo once I move everything around several hundred times because I am crazeeeeee.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the wreath! Great job. I've been wanting to do something similar. I'm with you on the bow--no need to gild the lily! Can't wait to see your new tree with your ornaments. It sounds neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:29 PM

    What a wonderful wreath, Shara! And THANK YOU so much for the awesome vintage swap package! We had a blast opening each little thing! merry Christmas!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers