What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, November 27, 2006

I Wish I Was Dumbledore

Every time I read Harry Potter or see a Harry Potter movie I say outloud, "I wish I was Dumbledore!" When the Hogswart students are in the great hall - Dumbledore will smoothly glide his wand across the air, say "LET THE FEAST BEGIN" and *POOF* the feast is on the table, the candles are aflame, the fire is blazing and the holiday decorations are complete. Wouldn't it be nice?

So, rather than getting up off my duff and actually decorating right now - here are photos from last year! (I have no idea why the url is showing up in addition to the photo - sometimes blogger is a bear!)

This isn't the best photo of the tree. In fact, I have a new tree this year with a ...remote control. Ooooh! Off to the left you can see my three foot tall 1950's rubber face Santa. I bought him at a yard sale for $2.00. I bought him to sell, but fell in love with him so now he guards the tree every year. This picture must have been taken on Christmas Eve, because we don't put presents under the tree until then.

href="http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger2/2819/1845/1600/774242/HPIM2990.jpg">
This is on top of the Entertainment Center. I love my big natural looking Father Christmas in the center. I got him at a thrift store for $2.00. (Hmmmm, I see a theme here!) The trees on either side of him are decorated with little paper mache people that I found at a garage sale in a Russell Stover candy box for 25¢. That was a find. Again, I thought I would sell them, but there they sit on my tree. The little cardboard houses are old light covers that I got at a thrift store for 10¢ each last year. The house on the left is a part of my one of a kind village. Why is it a one of a kind? Because my village is comprised of only General stores and Grocery stores, that's why! DH and I met while working in a grocery store so for our first Christmas we bought a grocery store to start our village. But, the next year we found a different grocery store and suddenly we had a village of gorcery stores. Last year I got a Walton's 5 & 10 (the original Wal-Mart store) and this year I have already spotted a Wal-Mart Supercenter.

href="http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger2/2819/1845/1600/469666/HPIM2991.jpg">
This is my ever growing Santa collection. Every year I think I will cull it down and get rid of some, but I never do. I remember where I got each and every one of them! One of them is from my Christmas when I was three years old. I especially like Santas made of other things. I have an acorn, a walnut, a crushed tin can, a paint brush, an okra pod, a golf ball, a gourd and lots of other little oddities painted to look like a Santa. Of couse, I have the paper cup Santa from DS's Kindergarten days in there too. On the back of the chair you can see the giant Santa hat that I picked up at a thrift several years ago for $1.00. I put it on the back of the chair so the chair is "wearing" it. Last year I kept finding it in the middle of the floor. I asked DS if he kept moving it and he denied it. So, I spied around the corner one day and saw our little girl kitty pulling that giant hat across the floor. I don't know what she was thinking!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:02 PM

    Hi Shara! I just wanted to pop in to introduce myself as your Vintage Swap partner. I look forward to hearing from you so I know just what special treats to find for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:36 AM

    Shara: I love your decorations. I came home from work one day when we had gotten new cocker spaniels (they were 1 and 2 yrs. old) and the baby met me at the door with one of my stuffed Christmas bears in his mouth like a toy. I about died! He didn't hurt it, but I have to put it up higher now. Wouldn't you love to know what our furbabies do when we are gone? Well, maybe not.

    Libby (Pennypincher)

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers