What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Surprises

Surprise #1: I'm always on the lookout for any new and unusual Santas for my collection. I am also always looking for any rubber faced Santas because they sell well in Japan. At the thrift last Wednesday I was shopping very quickly because the place was mobbed and there was a ton of great stuff. If I saw something of interest, I just tosed it in my basket and moved on to the next item. I spotted a rubber faced Santa on the toy shelf and tossed it into my basket. I could see the price was only 50¢ so I figured I would just buy it and check it out later for condition, age, etc.
So, when I got home and pulled THIS out of the bag I totally freaked. This is one sacareee Santa! His giant man head is attached to a plastic baby doll body He is wearing a full Santa suit complete with boots and mittens, so you can't tell it's a baby doll body unless you undress him.
Which I did.

For some reason.

Why was that again?


Surprise #2: After downloading the latest pictures on my memory card to the computer I came across this unexpected photo. Seems I have a budding self portrait photographer in the house. And, yes, those are his teeth. He has good teeth. But this picture makes him look like he bought thema the gumball machine. He often takes photos then he is surprised when I mention them. I think he forgets that I will find them and know he has been playing with Mom's digital camera. When he was little, he used to sneak treats and hide the wrappers under the couch thinking I would never be the wiser. That is, until I vacummed and Kraft Singles wrappers and Hershey's Kisses foil got stuck in the vacuum hose. The jig is up Knucklehead

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:29 AM

    One time we were at my mom's house when my daughter was about 3 yrs. old and we wondered why she was so hyper as the afternoon wore on. I mean she was wild! Later that evening, my mom called and said that she had found a pile of Hershey Kisses wrappers under a pillow in the living room...so we knew why she had been so hyper!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers