What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Random Acts of Kindness

If you read Yardsalequeen, you've already read part of htis - but I wanted to post it here too)

I have done two RAOK in the past two days. Both times, the recipient has been taken aback when I first offered. Then they have offered me money for the items I am trying to give them. When they finally understood that I was GIVING it to them, they were very thankful and gracious.

Yesterday at Lowe's I had a $10.00 off a $50.00 purchase coupon to use. I only spent $22.00, so I asked the guy behind me in line if he could use it. He offered me $5.00 for the coupon. I said, "I can't use it, I just want someone to use it. Please take it." Then he responded, "Bless you" which made me feel good.

Tonight we ordered pizza. When I opened it at home (I usually check it, but didn't tonight - lesson learned) it had beef on it. We are vegetarians, so it was no good here. We called them and they replaced it. So, I took the meaty one next door and offered to the family with three kids. He asked me what I wanted for it. "I am going to throw it away if you don't take it. It's still hot. Please just take it." "Oh well, thank you I appreciate it," he said.

So, I am wondering...is doiing or receiving a Random Act of Kindness really such a rare thing that people don't even understand what you are doing?????

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers