What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, April 14, 2006

My Week of Deal Hunting

Monday I went to the Salvation Army. Fund a swanky set of Royal Haeger candlesticks for $6.00 and a fabulous TV Lamp for $5.00. (Both are curently on ebay.) Lady working at the SA had set the lamp down then RAN to clock out and came back for the lamp. I had seen it sitting on a table by a couch and had already picked it up. She was so jealous. She kept following me asking if I really needed that lamp. She is an ebay seller too. I hadn't realized she was going to clock out when she ran off. She had her eye on four lamps, but only got one because everyone swooped in on them. She gets plenty of good stuff, trust me.

Wednesday I went to the Mall. Now, you just don't understand what a statement that is for ME to make. I loathe the Mall. High prices, snotty clerks, snotty customers. Ick. But, I wear Merle Norman make-up and that is the ONLY palce in my entire area you can get it. So, I went to the Mall. After I got my make up I went next door to a gift shop that sells all sorts of collectible items. I thought I would get DS a Beanie Baby for his Easter basket. He's 10 and doesn't need a huge bunny (but would roll up into a ball and cry if he didn't get a bunny of some sort!), but he does collect Beanie Babies. So, they were marked $5.99 each. As I looked at them the clerk (who was not snotty in any way!) told me the Easter Beanies were on sale 3/$10.00. So, I picked out three for his Easter Basket. Up by the check out there was a bunch of Easter stuff on sale. Well, you guessed it, I started digging. As I looked at it the clerk told me to ignore any prices and she'd let me have anything I wanted for $1.00. Now, I'm not sure if I look like a deal hunter, or look poor or what - but I just get offered deals wherever I go! I only bought two things. A "Grow A Bunny" for his basket - she only charged me 50¢ for it since it was only $4.00 to start. I also got a little satin covered egg with a porcelain bunny, vegetables and garding tools in it. It was priced $19.99 originally. It was a part of some fancy-schmancy line, but I can't rememeber what. I'll research it on ebay. But, sadly, I collect bunnies, so it will most likely be added to my bunny hutch!

Thursday as I was going to school I saw a nice hose cart sitting out with a FREE sign on it. So, I grabbed it. My step father doesn't have one - so I will give it to him.

Went back to the Salvation Army Thursday afternoon. Clerk that lost out on the lamp walked past me and asked, "How much did you sell the lamp for?" Now, no one knows I sell on ebay. And truthfully, most of what I buy at the Salvation Army is for someone in our family. But, I did buy the lamp to resell it - I just hadn't YET. So,I truthfully replied, "I haven't sold it -it's at home on my table." Effective last night - it WAS on ebay. She'll probably look for it since she sells too! I bought a few books (One kid's 70's book entitled, "Something Queer is Going On Here!"), a Build-A-Bear "Happy Birthday" Frog and some cardstock. Spent $4.00.

Friday - well, that's today. There's a moving sale up the street starting at 9:00. I better get a move on!

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and messages about DH's job. Things are looking brighter. We will have health insurance. He'll get two weeks vacation next year - so he only lost one. The boss is working on 401K and life insurance. So, thanks everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers