What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Tired, But Alive

I am working on a Junk Ranch post, but it is slow going.  I am exhausted.  Like I cannot seem to bounce back this time.  I was prepared as usual and had my layout figured out.  I only had to do a bit of tweaking because I looked at the map wrong and Lara was on the opposite side of me, so I flipped my arrangement once I got there.  But you guys.  It was hot.  Like brain melting hot.  I don't know if you all have ever experienced a hot muggy Arkansas summer, but it is like having a wet blanket on top of you in the 95 degree heat.  It is all encompassing and makes it hard to function.  


We set up most the day on Thursday, then a 13 hour day on Friday and 11 hours on Saturday which included tearing down the both at 5:00 right when the sun was really beating down on us.  I have never been so hot and miserable for such long hours.  Friday I drank almost ten bottles of water and a five pound bag of ice and I never (excuse the TMI) went to the bathroom all day.  That's a lot of sweating.  I hate summer and the heat, that's no surprise, but this was just awful.  But, no one can control the heat and it is June and it is what it is.  I already told you that I made  deal with the devil to make the rain stop.  Apparently he did stop the rain, but dude - he brought on the HEAT!  And as soon as the Junk Ranch was in the books, the skies opened on Sunday and dropped a deluge of rain. I'm so very thankful that it didn't do that during the show.  Our merchandise would have been ruined.  

But, despite the heat, I put on my happy face,  got my booth set up and sold my little heart out.  And I did sell - quite a bit, in fact.  I took out three full loads and got it home in two loads.  One load is pretty much tables and set up stuff on it's own.  I have stories to share about certain purchases shoppers made, people I met, people that made a point to find us, what sold and what didn't sell.  But, that will have to wait awhile until I bounce back.  Because I am tired to the bone!  (For the record, Sunday was unload the car, put all the things away, do the dishes and laundry and vacuuming that had gone undone the past four days.  Today was run errands, do more laundry, sort out some of the junk ranch stuff to return to the booths and to sell at an upcoming yard sale.  So, there hasn't been much rest as of yet.)  

Thanks to those of you that sent me texts, Facebook messages, Instagram comments, emails and blog comments encouraging me and looking for updates.  It really does mean the world to me that you guys do seem to want to hear all the details and that you want the best for me and this little junking endeavor of mine.  Thanks so much for your friendships!

I'll be back!  

10 comments:

  1. It sounds miserable. And fun. All at the same time. I'd say it's like having a baby, you forget all the pain and gore, but hey, I only had one kid so who am I to compare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shara, I know that heat and it really does take days for your body to recuperate! I'm glad it went well and I love your stories from Junk Ranch. Look forward to them, but take care of yourself first!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor thing sounds miserable. Extra bad as it's something you look forward to, work towards, all winter. BUT sounds like sales were made, there are tales to tell and adventures had...that works. Took me a week to get over Randolph!

    Chanelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, the heat. It was in the 90s (and humid as all get out) in Indiana this past weekend. Thankfully hubby and I were on vacation in San Diego, where it didn't get above 75 and it wasn't even humid! So lucky. Looking forward to your JR post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The very reason I will not do outside shows. I have enough to worry about in getting ready and in selling at the shows, I really don't want weather to be a worry. Get better and stay out of the heat for a while. I do know very well what hot humid weather is as I live in the Washington DC area which was built on a swamp!~~XXOO, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry your conditions were so miserable. That kind of heat can be so dangerous; so thankful you drank enough to keep you safe. My husband just lost a friend two weeks ago to heat stroke. Looking forward to all the JR details. Rest and recouperate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So good to hear the sales were good despite the horrible heat. You take your time and recover. We can wait to hear the details and I for one look forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gurrrrrl - that heat is no joke! Sad you are tired, glad you are alive! Try to get some rest, especially your finger bones, cuz you are going to need them to tap tap tap the stories out about the JR! Inquiring minds want to know all the details - it's like listening to a friend. I've got my cup of Chex snack mix ready to eat for when I read your next post(s)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you survived another Junk Ranch, its sounded fun and miserable all at the same time! Looking forward to posts, but girl, take your sweet time, as they say at Mickey D's, you deserve a break today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get a good rest, my friend. You earned it!!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers