What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Merry Kitschmas!

For years, I have been hoarding tiny little Christmas things, vintage Christmas ornaments, parts of old wreaths and candlerings, vintge ornaments with missing pieces, things of that nature. I never knew what I would ever do with them. But, the other night - it hit me!  I knew what to do with all that "kitsch" I have been kicking around.

Merry Kitschmas! 
I covered a frame with vintge silver tinsel garland and then covered every bit of it with various items in my Kitsch bin.   When I thought it was full as I could get it  I added more!
I think they turned out really cute, if I do say so myself.  I call them "I Spy's" - You can find lots of things hidden.
Althought they are random. I noticed sort of a theme - like drums within this one. 
I also made this wreath, but I have added more things to it since I took this photo. 

All of these things are in my Etsy Shop, which makes me nervous.  I've never sold anything that I have made.  But, you can only have so much KITSCH in you own house!

5 comments:

  1. These are just adorable. I think they will sell really well. So cute and well...kitschy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm IMPRESSED!!!
    LOOK GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:37 AM

    I love them! You have inspired me to get crafty this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your frames - and you have inspired me to attempt to make something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the frame and wreath. Good luck in selling them, the wreath especially should go quickly.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers