What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Junkin'

I did a little Junkin' this week. Yes, I know, you are shocked. I didn't find anything stellar. I did find one item for myself that made me happy, so I will save that for the last.
I found these great old metal trays at at the new Thrift that just opened outside of town. I got three of these great old key trays. They are really old TV trays, but I think they make great serving trays or display pieces.
There was only one of these fabulous kitschy poodle trays. Too cute, right?
This tray is a sweet cottagey-green with the perfect little pink house inside. Perfect for Jack and Diane, right?
Ceci n'est pas un plateau fabuleux avec la Tour Eiffel au centre ? Il ne serait pas grand pour le vin et le fromage ? Oh, I am sorry. Isn't this a fabulous tray with the Eiffel Tower in the center? Wouldn't it be great for wine and cheese? (My secret weapon is here. Check it out if you ever want to impress anyone with your bi-lingual skills!)


***If, by any chance, anyone is interested in one of the trays they are $10.00 each plus shipping within the US only. Drop me a line if you are interested.***

Here's my little gem from this week. It's wooden, it's chippy, it's shabby, it's per-fect!
It folds up nice and flat for storage. It really isn't sturdy enough to climb on and use, but it will look great with a fern on it or for some other decorative use.

It was sitting in a garage behind the FOR SALE area in the NOT FOR SALE area, but I saw it and screwed up my nerve and said, "Is that little white ladder for sale?" The man said, "It wasn't, but you can have it for $2.00. " Yippee for me. Sorry, for the bad photo. DH put it in the garage like it is garbage. 'Scuse me, it's junk,not garbage.

***Does anyone know of any magazines or other places I could find some Michael's coupons? I am going to the Land of Michael's next week on a little mini vacation and I need some coupons! Thanks!*** I made reservations using Hotwire today. I managed to get a room in a swanky ooh-la-la hotel that was $150.00 a night for $60.00 a night. Not bad, eh?

8 comments:

  1. I love the trays, they were a great find, and your stool, well you can never have enough!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:30 AM

    We have Michael's coupons in our Sunday paper every week. If you think they would work where you will be, I would gladly mail them to you. I think they are 40% off regular price and 50% off framing. I will pull them out of my recycling for you-just send me an email with your address.
    joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. great trays! dont you love how these motifs repeats themselves in cycles.
    and the stool is art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:11 PM

    They will accept Hobby Lobby coupons which you can print from the Hobby Lobby website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:58 PM

    i found a link where you can print the coupons off...

    http://printable-coupons.blogspot.com/2008/02/michaels-coupons-arts-craft-store.html

    enjoy!

    lunalissa AT AOL dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute finds! Those trays are darling. What was it with poodles in the 1950s? and that ladder is awesome.

    When are you leaving? I can see if there is one in Sunday's paper and mail it to you if there's time. I think you can also sign up on their website to get the coupons emailed to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:08 AM

    Shara,

    I grew up with those Eifel Tower trays. They were snack trays with a stand. I'll havae to see if my mother still has them. She LOVED those trays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE love LOVE the trays!!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers