What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I finally got some thrifting in on Tuesday. I just needed to get out of the house and do a litte lookie-loo around at some JUNK. I know it was September 11th and my heart is still full of sadness over everything that happened that fateful day. But, I just can't watch all the Memorials all day. It's not that I don't care, because I do care. I just can't stand the sadness all day. I hope you understand what I am saying. I did watch "Oprah" and cried the entire hour seeing all the kids.

Anyway - on to the Junkin'.

I went to three thrifts and didn't find much. But, that can be a good thing sometimes. I bought some useable items, like books for The Bean and some shirts for him and DH which aren't photoworthy, but still good deals. The Bean got some nice Ralph Lauren shirts for 50¢ each, so what a well dressed kiddo he will be - and for cheap!

I got this great old cookie jar for $1.50. It is stoneware and handpainted. I love that cool 1930's green. It matches all those green handled kitchen utensils I am always dragging home. The lid has been broken and reglued, but I kinda like that fact. It prbably wouldn't sell for that very reason, but I like the worn patina and the broken lid. Lots of little hands reached in there for some homemade choclate chip cookies, I bet. I'll most likely put my green handled tools in it.
I liked the cookie jar because it reminded me of this cake carrier that I already have. Actually, I call it a cake carrier, but it really holds three different items on different levels. I guess it really held pies or plates of food. This is one of the first truly vintage items I ever bought at a yardsale - and for a mere $2.00, if I recall corectly. I knew I should sell it, but I just adored it and decided to keep it.
I love this little old baby planter in the shape of a train. I really cannot accomodate any more collections, but I would secretly love a vintage baby planter collection. If I had been a thrifter when DS was born, I would have started a collection for his Nursery. This one says "Great Western Railroad" on it which I imagine is just a made up name, but will Google it in case it was actually a real railroad. It was 55¢. The green blown glass grapes were 35¢. The Gingerbread adornment in the back is actually brand new and made of vinyl. I like to add these to doorways for fun. It ws priced $19.98 from Home Depot, but I only paid $1.00 for it.
After my thriting fix, I decided to poke around Hobby Lobby. I adore that store. Such wonderful things and something is always on sale. I seriously do not need anymore holiday decorations because I have tubs of everything holiday in the garage. And the shed. And that other shed. But, my tastes have changed and I am leaning more towards the vintage look - new or old, but I like that vintage-y feel. Which brings me to this: Seriously, is this cute or what? I spotted it a couple weeks ago at Hobby Lobby. It was $17.99 - which is a drop in the bucket to most people, but that is a lot to me. Especially for something that I really didn't need. I mean, I buy my kid clothes for 50¢, so I can't justify an $18.00 bauble. But, yesterday it was 50% off. So, only $8.50. Did I need it? No. Did I buy it? Yes. I mean, I buy my kids clothes for 50¢, so I an afford it. ;o)

*******I appreciate the advice about the Title Bar - but I don't have anything up there. Not a line, not a bar, not a word. I guess it's time to get soem Blogger help. Hrumph.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, AWESOME cookie jar! I think all your green utensils will look great in it!

    What's wrong with your title bar? I can see it--it says "I'm a junker, not a junkie" and it makes me giggle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookie jar is amazing. I wish I could spend a day learning your tricks to finding things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:10 PM

    Oh COOL stuff but yes that halloween decoration was worth the 8 dollars!! You sound like me.. I'll buy a bunch of junk from a thrift store, but then I cringe when I have to pay full price for something at a store. Even half price at times makes me cringe. Sigh. Must be the "thrifters" in us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:00 PM

    Miz Smoochie lips: You said it exactly like I would have said it. If I'm in a store and the sale is 20-25% off, I laugh and think that's almost insulting.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers