What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, May 07, 2007

A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That



This week is Teacher Appreciation Week at school. I am the Hospitality Coordinator so it is my job to give the teachers little gifts every day and feed them lunch one day. There are 125 teachers, so I need a lot of everything. I have had pretty good luck with parents bringing in food the past two times we fed the teachers, but this time I just decided to buy everything. (Note to Blogger - I did not underline this paragraph and do NOT know how to fix it!)



The PTSA has a $1,000 budget for this, so I am spending it all. I have to deliver a bag to their mailboxes each day in six lounges in two buidings each day this week. Wednesday I have to have lunch delivered in three buildings from 10:30 to 1:00. DH is off on Wednesday, so he will be my personal helper. I made two big Movie Gift packs that include popcorn, candy, popcorn bowls and a DVD Player so they can register to win a nice prize too. I have been working on this day and night for two weeks and will be really, really glad when it is over and done.



But, I am not complaining (well, a little)- I chose to do everything myself and to get committees or helpers. It just isn't worth the trouble asking one person for plates, one for cookies, one for chips, one for cutlery, etc. Case in point - last week I help host an after school event in the library for the teachers while they visited the Book Fair. The Book Fair Coordinator called various parents to bring in cookies and punch. She asked one Mom to send in napkins and cups, but she didn't send them. It is sort of hard to eat cookies without a napkin and drink punch without a cup! (I found some in the lounge). So, I am just doing it myself. Rant over.



Saturday is DH's birthday. He is so hard to buy for - he has no hobbies, no interests. He doesn't read or particularly like a certain type of movie (Okay, he does like John Wayne, but I am not spending good money on a John Wayne movie, especially since he might make me watch it too!), or even listen to music. He does love Arkansas Razorback sports, KC Chiefs, Washington Redskins and the St. Louis Cardinals and "Professional" Wrestling (*hurl*). I did get him a nice Razorback polo shirt (of which he owns about 300 Razorback shirts), a Razorback hat (He owns 25 or so of those) and a nice long sleeved Razorback shirt (yes, he has several of those too).



I found a big sticker, per say, that you put in the back window of your vehicle with the big Razorback emblem on it. It is $20.00 for a glorified STICKER and it will kill me to pay that much, but I suppose I will since I know he will like it. He has his own truck now so he can "Hawg" it all up with all that tacky Razorback stuff. It's not going on MY pretty VUE!

The pictures in this post have nothing to do with anything. I found some pictures of DS on an old file frommy old camera on my computer this morning. He used to be so little! His boxers really clashed with the couch!

3 comments:

  1. Love that last picture! I have been lurking on your blog for a while, and just wanted to say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:25 PM

    You can use the last one to blackmail him one day when he is about to get married. You could blow it up and have it at the rehersal dinner. That would be great!! Love the pictures.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine is a cameraholic just like you, and she had a "memory" cd done for her son's graduation. They set it to his favorite music and there wasn't a dry eye(men included) at the party.

    Christopher better look out!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers