What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Bluebirds of Happiness and Other Yard Sale Tales

DS is feeling better. I'm not sure why he has had such a bout with sickness this year. In Kindergarten he had ear infections on top of ear infections. They lasted through Third Grade - but I could sense when one was coming on and started gettiing him to the doctor before they hit full on. He also had tubes put in when he was in First Grade, and that seemed to help quite a bit. At the very end of the school year in the Third Grade we went to the ENT who told DS that he was "too old to have ear infections" and he didn't want to see him in there again. And, I kid you not, he has not had one ear infection since. But, now we seem to have a Bronchitis epidemic. We caught it quickly this time and got him into the doctor's in a few hours, so the antibiotics are doing their work. We thought it best to keep him home through Monday so they can get in his system and help make him "all better".

So, sense he was feeling better - I schleped him out to some yard sales. My bad.
Here's the loot. Nothing overly exciting. The "Folding Nakins" book amused me at 25¢. I bought some linen naplkins to match my Spring tablecloth, but never got up the nerve to use them. Perhaps next years table will feature swan shaped napkins....
The books aren't in the best shape - but I just love the old illustrations. I thought I might use them in a craft project or something. That "thing" on the Ballerina book is actually a large chunk of rock with a group of quartz crystals attached. It is really nice. We have quite a rock collectoin too. (Collection #1002.)
This is my favorite "To Keep" find. It is a sweet vintage egg plate with a rooster motif. This will go on the shelf with my flock of roosters. It was priced $3.00, but when I checked out, I only paid $5.00 for it and a whole pile of other stuff that should have totaled $16.00. I guess they were clearing it out.
We found one of these Leo Ward birds at the first sale for 75¢ and the other at the last sale for $1.00. They are about 4" tall and we have never seen any Leo Ward birds this large before.
I think I have talked about them before - they are made near here and plentiful at every yard sale. We have nearly 50 of them. DH's Mother loved them and had them everywhere in her house. I even found one behind the stove when we moved it out. We brought home a huge box full of them, but I had dispose of a lot of them because they were broken. Some of them that just had chipped wings or beaks are in my yard to catch the sun. DS really liked the birds, so we brought them home for him to have when he is older and on his own. (Wah!) When he finds different colors or sizes at sales. We add to the collection. We have clear, blue, amber, green and red, not to mention animals of all sorts now. They are all in a glass case (so I don't have to dust them!) and will make a nice collection for him someday.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:29 PM

    Glad your son is feeling better. Bronchitis makes you feel so blah.

    Your goodies look nice. The rooster egg plate is so 50's or 60's looking. Adorable.

    Doesn't Chris (YS Queen) collect those birds? I had never heard of them before until there was a discussion on one of the ysq chats. I've looked at sales, but have not seen any. Would be rare in this part of the country, I guess.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever since I saw those birds mentioned on YSQ I have been looking for one, just to see what it looks like in person! LOL No luck. My grandma has one that looks very similar but I checked and it is not signed, so nope.

    The little books are cute!

    I sold a lot of the McD's cups but mine were the standard "Good Morning" design. Yours looks different, which is good! The other mugs are cute too.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers