What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Little of This, A Little of That

Gone, but not forgotten. I have been away for awhile. But, not completely by choice. I swtiched this blog over to the "New and Improved" Beta Blogger and then I couldn't find the darn dashboard again! I think I've finally found it and bookmarked it, so maybe I can post again some time soon!

I am ready to decorate for Christmas even though it is one huge job. I strip my living room, kitchen and bathroom down to basically just furniture and then I decorate. Well, actually, since the rooms are then bare, I sweep the ceiling to get down the dust bunnies, then I move the furniture and vacuum under it all then I dust and clean everything like crazy. THEN I decorate. I have so much Christmas stuff that I have to strip the houe down to the bare bones. But, then it lloks like a Christmas Wonderland and I love it.

Turkey Day in Thursday. We will go to my husband's Aunt and Uncle's for "dinner" which is lunch to you and me city folk. We normally go to my Dad's in the afternoon too. But, he has deemed that "unnecessary" this year and will be going out to eat with his "lady friend" instead. Whatever. Friday my Mom, step father, my family, my grandmother and my great Uncle will get together for a later Thanksgiving dinner.

There will be no Black Friday shopping for me. I hate crowwds and I am about finished shopping anyway. We are in the market for a big TV and there is a 42" plasma on sale, but doubt I can talk DH to get up early and go buy it.

I bought a big cardboard box full of ornaments at the thrift last week for $1.50. I could tell there were a few old glass ornaments in there and some Hallmark ornaments too, so I decided to buy them. When I emptied out the box I found these three sweet little jewels at the bottom of the box. They are hand carved and handpainted and just wonderful. My kitchen is chock full of folk art watermelons so I am happy to have saved them form that box!

1 comment:

  1. Happy to see that you found your dashboard. Missed your blogging.

    I do plan to go shopping on BF, but hope it doesn't turn into a 12 hour marathon like last yr. My mom and I had a blast, but I was exhausted.

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers