What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Prizes, Cheap Stuff and A Good Samaritan

My local TV station has a photography contest called "Seasonal Snapshots". I entered this photo of my son at the park for the "Spring Snapshot" contest. They showed it during the news one night and I got a letter from the Meterologist. I also won a nice umbrella with the TV station logo on it and a one-time use camera. The camera was $9.99 at the fanchy-schmany camera shop. We went today to pick up my prizes. The news anchor herself handed me my stuff! I'm in the running now to win a $1,000.00 DVD camcorder and man, would I LOVE to win that. This is the third time I have won a prize for sending in pictures.

We went to Hobby Lobby again today to look at the 80% off stuff. We found two really pretty handblown glass lamps complete with shades. They were $99.99 each, but we paid only $19.99 each for them. I also got a beautiful coblat blue gas lamp for my bathroom vanity. It was $34.99 and I got it for $6.99. I bought a lamp shaped like a purse for my grnadmother for Christmas too. It was $24.99 and I paid $4.99. So, I got $260.00 worth of lamps for $52.00. I could have never brought myself to pay $200.00 for lamps. And, if by some strange reason I DID - Dh would kill me. Yard sale lamps are a tough buy for me because you still have to go buy a shade 9 times out of 10, so it isn't very often that it is a good deal. So, these were the deal for me.

We went to Deals to get AA batteries - the cheap ones are 16 for $1.00. They were out - darn them. They are great for all DH's cheapo toys and Plug-n-Play video games. They did have Blue Bunny Caramel Chocolate Somethingoranother ice cream for $1.00. We bought four and brought them home to the freezer. DH put them in the freezer and then announced that he didn't have his wallet. He mentally retraced his steps and the only time he had used it was right down the street to buy a fountain drink. He called and they had it under the counter. So, whoever turned that in - THANK YOU! I have done a lot of good deeds - returning birth certificates, checks floating acros the Wal-Mart parking lot, returning unmailed credit card checks, etc. So, I am glad I did all that and someone was nice enough to return it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers