What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, June 23, 2006

At Last, Some Privacy!

We have a pool in our side yard. It's just one of those bright blue eyesore swimming pools with the inflatable ring on top. It's 12' wide and 3.5' deep. Just something to splash around in and stay cool. We put it in the side yard this year which seemed like a good idea at the time until I realized that everyone could see us in the pool and even more disturbing - climbing up the ladder all wet and unattractive. So, I decided we needed a privacy fence. We have never had a fence because we like to sit out and see what everyone else is doing in their yards and on the streets (like climbing out of THEIR pools!). I got the idea to have a fence put up across the front and back of our side yard only. I asked my Dad if he knew a handyman and he set me up with a guy yesterday. I was surprised when this 72 year old man showed up, but he was strong as a horse and did the entire project (including two trips to Lowe's to buy the supplies) in only 6 hours. It looks great and he only charged me $120.00 labor. I paid him extra since he picked everything up and drove about an hour to get to my house. The supplies cost about $300.00. So, for $450.00 I have my privacy fence. The real kicker is that my Dad sold some land last week and gave me $500.00 for no reason. So, I actually got a free fence and $50.00 left to spend. Now I get to plant and do landscaping around the fence. When we were at Lowe's yesterday I bought a pink and a purple Hydrangea on sale from $14.88 to $6.00. I also like to hang old stuff on the fence - old architectural items, finnials and old rusty farm implements, etc. Guess that means I MUST hit some yard sales for more STUFF.

Our local pizza place always had pizzas - Buy One, Get Two Free. We'd go get three large pizza's and all three of us would eat twice, plus lunch for DS a couple of times and it would only cost about $16.00. Now they are going from "Quantity to Quality". One Medium Pizza will be $9.99. Guess, we will have to find a new pizza place.

Went to one of my thrifts on Wednesday. Actual, I went to the Salvation Army too, but left empty handed. (Although DS bought a giant stuffed Walrus for $1.00, because, quote, "I don't have one!" - he is bound and determined to have a pratically life size animal of every kind.) At the thrift I bought this neat old litle table thingy. It is from India and all hand carved. It has three round shelves on it, but you can flatten it up to store it away. They were using it for display space, but I noticed a tag on it. DH liked it and he normally just snoozes his way through the thrifts. Anyway, since he liked it too, I looked at the price expecting it to be $20.00 at least. It was only $6.00. Not sure what I'll do - keep or sell. I do like it so I will probably keep it for awhile. I also got a puzzle mat to work puzzles on then roll it up until you do it again for $1.00 and a set of 4 Chips Ahoy coffee cups from the 1980's for $2.00. The cups say "16 chips in every cookie." I think now they say like a 1,000 chips in every bag or something.

I'm off to some sales and thrifts this morning before the real heat kicks in. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers