What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, June 12, 2006

My Walgreen's Trip

DS is out of school and DH went back to work today (Yippee!) so I can get back to my thrifting and couponing. Whew. We went to Walgreen's today. I bought six packages of Stayfree Maxipads and four bags of Hershey's Chocolates. I knew the deal I was getting, but didn't really think about WHAT I was buying until this cute guy behind me in line gave my purchases a once over and then he shrunk back away from me like I was some Psycho PMS'ing chocolate eating maniac! The Stayfree's were on sale for $1.74 and Walgreen's has a rebate - Buy $10.00 worth of Stayfree, get a $10.00 Gift Card. So, free maxipads. And the Hershey's Chocolate has a rebate on it - Buy $10.00 worth and get a $5.00 rebate. So, I got 6 Maxipads and four bags of choclates for $5.00. I also bought four toothbrushes that are about $3.99 each on sale for $2.50 and I had $2.00 coupons. I also used three of the FREE Rolaids coupons from the Sunday inserts that were about to expire. I bought three blank video tapes to record DS's movies and porgrams when I force him to go outside or swim or to the library or some other equally horrifying thing and he has to miss them. In the end, I spent $27.00, but I will get back $15.00 in cash and gift cards. Not bad.

We ate lunch at Chik-fil-A. Love that chicken! I noticed my sandwich felt really heavy when I took it out of the bag. They had put two giant breasts on it and it was HUGE. And it was delicious! ;o)

We went to the Salvation Army and I bought a new unopened 750 piece puzzle for me and DS to work on this summer. He bought a beanie baby and a book called Frindle for $2.25.

We also went to the Home Depot and bought a room air conditioner. We have a geothermal unit and when the long hot days of summer kick in and it is in the high 90's day after day, we have problems keeping out living room cool. It faces the evening sun and the kitchen is right beside it so if I use the burners or oven, it helps heat it up too. Even running the dryer all day makes extra heat. I decided to get a small unit and put it in the front window to help keep that one room cooler and help the main unit to not have to work so hard. We had it plugged in for about an hour and we were under a blanket. Think it is going to work! It cost $129.00, but I think it will save us money in the long run if our main unit doesn't have to work quite so hard. And, if it doesn't save us money - who cares! I HATE the heat! ;o)

Once again, HI SOPHIESMOM! ;o)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:31 PM

    Hey Shara,

    I got my best deal for DS last week at Penney's. They had 3 different brand of jeans marked down to 3.77 ea. so I got 9 pr for 35.00. That should last him through winter unless he takes a huge growth spurt. If he does I will consign them.

    Carol/oliveoyl64

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers