What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, December 02, 2005

It's Friday night. I cannot think of ONE baragain or deal that i got all week. No wonder Ihave been depressed all week! Sunday we had our delayed Thanksgiving dinner with the 18¢ turkey. Monday I started stripping down my house and lceaning it in preparation of decoartiong for Christmas. Tuesday I started decorating for Christmas and went to Walmart for groceries. Wednesday we cleaned out the garage, filled up the minivan with donations for the Salvation Army and put out the big inflatable Santa. Thursday night I did not sleep at all and my head was all congested when I woke up. I took some medicine that knocked me on my butt all day - nothing accomplished. Friday my sonmissed school due to a stomach ache. We worked on the Christmas decorations some more.

It takes me the better part of a week to decorate inside and outside my house for Christmas. I have a TON of decorations. Every year it is fun to see what I bought AFTER Christmas last year. This year wew had the above mentioned inflatable Santa. We bought that at Dillon's last year for $7.50. It was $49.99. They had the boxes on top of the freezers and they kept marking them down, but no one ever bought any. DH walked by them every day on his bread route so he kept an eye on them. We broke down and bought one when it hit $7.50 and all the employees were starting to buy them too.

I also buy a lot of decorations at the thrifts and garage sales. I love vintage items. Some I resell and some I keep. I have a set of AnnaLee Mobiltree dolls - a girl and a reindeer that I got for $1.25 each. They would sell for about $100.00- but I love them. I also have a four foot tall rubber faced Santa. I bought him for $2.00. I bought him to resell. But, I fell in love with him and decided to keep him. I think he would sell for $200 - $300. I have a lot of vintage elves, Santas and ornaments too. I had several Eskimo ornamnets on my tree last year that I had bought in a huge box for $2.00. I found out that I had the first three in a series ornaments from Hallmark - Frosty Friends. They were cute, but I had no emotional ties to them, so I sold them on ebay. I got about $65.00 each for them. So, sometimes i keep things forever and sometimes I enjoy it for awhile and them sell it.

Hint of the Day: Keep your eye out for Christmas items all year long. In particular, watch for vintage ornaments, vintge bulbs, Rushton CocaCola Santas, Hallmark Ornaments, Matchless Bulbs tree toppers, Aluminum Trees, Color Wheels, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:06 PM

    How do you store eveything and keep it straight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I would like to be way more organized than I am - I need some shelves and a handyman to install them for me. I keep all gifts in the closet in the bedroom. Mostly they fit on the top shelf except for this time of year when the door can barely shut for all the Christmas Gifts. Groceries go in the kitchen or on some shelves in the garage. As for my ebay stuff - well, I have an office overflowing with items. But, it is a room only for ebay, so it really doesn't matter that it is stuffed. Although the folks on "Clean Sweep" would have heart palpitations! Thanks for your commetns!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers