What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, December 30, 2005

I went to Wal-Mart today after I heard online that most Christmas items were scanning at 75 off. I went late enough in the day so that there wouldn't be a ton of good stuff that I would feel I "had" to buy. I did get a pretty Damask Poinsettia Tablecloth to fit our big dining table for $3.50. I also found a lot of candles good for everyday use or for gifts. I got two big three wick Cinnamon Spice Candles for $1.20 and five 8" tall pillar candles for 60¢ each - three white peppermint and two cream colored vanilla. I got a nice melamine veggie server with four dishes inside a big white dish for $1.50. It was white with two red dishes and two green dishes. I can use it as is for Christmas, with the red dishes only for Valentine's Day, 4th of July or everyday and the green dishes only for other times of the year.

I did place an order from Graveyard mall for some Christmas decoations that came yesterday. They are so nice. I got this two foot tall cast iron tree that looks like a natural birch tree. It was nearly $40.00, but with Graveyard Mall price reductions, nearly Christmas sale prices and ana dditionla 70% off code they emailed me - i paid a mere $2.20. I also got a fabulous "Cocoa with Santa" snowglobe. It retailed for nearly $50.00, but with those same discounts and codes -I paid only $3.00. I got ten items for $21.00 and that includes $6.95 shipping. I normally will not pay for shipping, but with these prices, it was still a great deal.

I also got the first of my five American Girl orders today. I got the 8" Angelina Ballerina Puppet, a hat box filled with clothes, accessories and a hat for the puppet, a boxed set of three books, a softcover book and a hardcover book all for $5.86. I plan on putting some of these in the flea market, some on ebay, some for gifts and some to the local library as a donation. I don't know why they would reduce a $16.95 book to 49¢, but I am glad they did!

Tomorrow is New Year's Eve. I want to wish all my fellow bloggers and readers a very Happy New Year. This will be a new year of documenting all of my deals - let's try to get a lot of deals and do a lot of good with those deals in the upcoming year. I love getting a deal, but I love sharing it with others just as much!

Happy 2006!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers