What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Block Street Party Teaser

My brain is tired and my feet and back are very tired, so I will do a quick post tonight.  The Block Street party went well.  It was SUCH a fun day.  If you like to "people watch" and I love to people watch - well, this is the place to do it.  College town, hippies with dreads, socialite college girls in heels and pearls, punk looking kids, goth - you name it and I saw it.  I saw orange, bright green, yellow, pink and blue HAIR today. 
I saw this girl and a few others that made my jaw gape.  "Hmmm, I think I will wear my fifty pound KISS boots today, yes, I think I will....."

I figure that I can set up, people watch all day long, make some money to boot and not spend any walking up and down the street hitting all the vendors myself.  It's a win-win situation.  

Also, there was a crochet booth.  I don't mean they had cute little crocheted hats and afghans.  The booth was literally crocheted.  

The top of the tent, the sides of the tent, the floors.....


A sectional(!), table, pillows, rugs.....

They dressed the part.  The man in the half shirt (oye vey!) changed into one hideous get up after another all day long.  He walked up and down the street posing with people.  It was a show stopper, that's for sure.  


Everyone talked about how much they had crocheted and how long it must take them.  But when is potted all those old potholders, I knew that they were crocheting a lot of it, but probably out at the thrifts scavenging for anything crocheted.  

Crocheted table, seating and food anyone?  

I'll be back tomorrow with a rundown of the set up, the show, a pop in appearance by Lara complete with  the twins and a big sonic Limeade for me, and some more photos.  Until then, I leave you with one of my booth partners.

Does it not look like she is grinning ear to ear?  
SO FUNNY!

Good Night!

10 comments:

  1. OH that guy is gutsy for sure cause it aint good:) I do think they picked up lots of crochet things everywhere which usually come cheap. But lots of points for creativity.
    can't wait to hear how you did.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a crochet artist myself, I don't necessarily think they picked up that much of it. I'm sure the did, I do find it at thrift stores sometimes. But never clothing, and never that much. I probably wouldn't have gotten any further then that booth, by the way! The guy "modeling" isa little on the strange side, but I bet he got a lot of attention for his booth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:28 AM

    That first photo. Yikes. Momma said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. The pup in the last photo is lovin life, that's for sure. Sandy in PA

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I love to people watch! Hope you got some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh...no more crochet guy :-)

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. heeee, heeee..... all I can think is "One day, Missy Shara, THAT could be YOUR daughter-inlaw 8-D" Makes ME just grin ear to ear that I'M not trying to raise kids these days!!!!
    Can't wait for your follow up reports!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That crochet booth was quite the hit of Instagram! I kept thinking how hot and itchy their booth would have made me if the temps had been higher...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That crotchet booth looks like it came straight from Portland. That is the vibe in this crazy city half the time.. That colored hair you mentioned seeing..so rampant here. What a fun and crazy people watching day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. people watching does help eliminate some of the boredom when sitting there all day at a craft show. Can't wait to see what else you have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see "the rest of the story"!! That crochet booth is amazing. No, I am not planning to redecorate my house - lol!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers