What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Sunday, December 02, 2012

More, more and more.

Hi, it's me Debbie Downer.  Back with more news.  On Thursday, I went to see my Mom at the Rehab hospital and she was completely zoned out, couldn't think, couldn't talk, couldn't do what the therapists were asking of her.  She was just a zombie.  The nurse told me that it was the pain meds.  Well, she had been on a lot of pain meds all week, but certainly hand't acted like that.  I knew something was odd.  On Friday when I got there, she was in the bed with lots of people gathered around her.  Then I heard one of them say "She needs to go to the hospital."  I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing.  Again.

An ambulance came and took her to the hospital, which is actually only on the other side of the parking lot, so it was a quick ride.  When they checked her vitals, her Pulse/Ox was super low - she was not breathing deeply enough between the back brace, lying on her back sleeping so much and the mass amount of different pain meds she had been given in all the different places she had been.  Her brain was starting to be deprived of oxygen. She was also severely dehydrated which caused her kidney's to not function completely.  They rushed around and did a lot to her quickly.  My greatest surprise was when the doctor assured me that she "wasn't going to heaven tonight" because I hadn't ever even for one second thought about THAT.  

She's been in ICU since Friday night, but she is about to move to a regular room.  I asked the doctors to PLEASE make sure she is medically sound before they ship her off to rehab or any other place.  They assure me that she would be 100% (medically) or she wouldn't leave.  Plus they have therapists there that are going to start getting her going again.  Today she is anxious to sit up, stand up and do anything they want her to do so that is a good thing!  She has been bedridden for 10 days.  I can tell she is stronger with all the fluids, the transfusions and the oxygen treatments.  She has been through the ringer!  Every time they ask her medical, surgery and hospital history, we tell them that there hasn't been any.  They always say, "Well, there is now!"  I guess she made up for lost time!  

So, since Thanksgiving, she has been to one ER visit, another ER visit, an ambulance ride to Springfield for another ER visit, up to a room for four days, an ambulance ride to Fayetteville, three nights in a Rehab hospital, an ambulance ride to the hospital ER, in ICU for two days and now a regular room.  I have been sleeping on the floor of the ICU waiting room the past two nights.  We came home today for a quick shower and a hot meal, but I am headed back to the hospital to spend the night again.  As long as everything goes well, I will probably come home tomorrow night.  

While I have had lots of time on my hands sitting in the ICU Waiting room waiting for visiting hours, I have been reading your blogs and some of the message boards I frequent.  I am amazed at how many times I have been reading along about your junking finds or something fun you did and then suddenly, I see my name and my story.  I have been brought to tears many times.  I've been getting packages and cards in the mail with gifts and money.  I was really taken aback the first time I saw any money come in.  I'm the one that does things for other people!  I don't deserve for anyone to do that for me!  I told my stepfather about this and he told me to be gracious because people love me and want to show that they care about me.  And I do know that.    So, for each of you that has sent out a prayer for us, thought of us or sent me something, I thank each of you from the very bottom of my heart.  My real life support system is very small - it's just been the three of us at the hospital all the time.I will thank everyone personally down the line.  But, for now, I hope this message reaches each of you.  

I have one more thing to ask - but it's an easy one - PLEASE decorate the beejeezus out of your house and post lots of photos for me to enjoy. :) Because, I don't see my decorations seeing the light of day this year.  But, that's okay.  My Mom and my family are more important, I know that for certain.

Thanks again, everybody!  :)


  1. Oh Shara I am so glad your Mom is doing so much better!! I've been following along on FB so I knew some of this. It is so scary how fast things can go down even with medical care right there. Thank goodness you have been able to be with her. I am decorating and thinking of you today! Sending a big hug, Linda

  2. I'm overwhelmed (for you) just reading this! I can't imagine what you're really feeling. But please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

  3. So glad your mom is doing better. We know all about pain meds and what they can do. keeping you and your mom in my prayers.

  4. I know you are in a better frame of mind, we finally got to read an update straight from the monkey's mouth.

  5. Many prayers going up in your mom's behalf.

  6. Shara, I feel so bad reading your woe. It's so hard when it's your mom and you want all the best care for her. I'm glad that someone finally stepped up and found all those things wrong so they could start her on the correct road to wellness!! Don't forget to take care of yourself. Your mom will need you to be healthy and strong! Wishing you all the best and I know things will turn around and she will be fine before long and once again calling you every day!!
    Hugs, Sandie

  7. Oh, dear ... I am so sorry you had this setback and relieved to know that your mom rallied. If decorating will help, I'm here for you, sister.

  8. Keeping you and your mom in my prayers! I will be sure to post some junk on the blog this week!!!!

  9. Anonymous6:31 PM

    Praying for your mother, you, and your family. Take, care of yourself too, because you can't do any good for her if you get sick. Lisa B

  10. It is so nice to hear about everyone sending you cards and all. It must feel really good to be loved! I'm praying for your family and especially your Mom.
    Pat G

  11. What a ride you and especially your mom have been on! Hoping the doctors get it resolved this time and she is on the path to recovery. Thanks for keeping us posted.

  12. I'm so glad to know that she's feeling a little bit better now. So, so scary though. I'll be putting up some crap-tastically cheerful Christmas decor on my blog later this week. I may even throw some extra tinsel on the tree for you if it will help.

  13. Sending you hugs and prayers.
    I am so happy to hear the Breadman is still the breadman...
    and happy to hear your momma is doing better.
    Been thinking about you, everytime I see vintage Christmas eye candy.
    So had to pop in after being MIA from the message boards for a good long time.

  14. Thinking of you and your family! My parents are starting to get older too and I always wonder when it will be my turn to get that midnight phone call...I am trying to enjoy every moment with them while we can!


I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!

Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers