What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, May 05, 2010

An Explosive Cinco De Mayo

Since it is Cinco De Mayo, we decided to have Mexican Food.  I made a huge pan of Refried Beans, covered in expensive Aged Cheddar Cheese.  It's our favorite, so I always make plenty for leftovers.  I put it in the oven and a few minutes later I heard an odd noise.  I've never heard a noise like that, so I took a look inside the oven.

I know this photo looks disgusting now - but look!  My Pyrex Pan exploded!!!  Beans, cheese and glass all over the oven.  What a mess!  What a waste!  I had to scrape the bottom of the oven, clean the racks, sweep up glass and throw away our dinner.    I know a lot of you guys use vintage Pyrex.  But, this was a fairly new pan.  Now I am scared of all my Pyrex pans! 

Have you ever had this happen to you?????


  1. Somebody told me recently about this, and I'm pretty sure it's the newer stuff that's dangerous. They've changed the formula for the glass or something. I feel safer with my vintage stuff!

    So sorry about your dinner--but at least it was contained in the oven and not out where someone could have been hurt by flying Pyrex shrapnel. Hope tomorrow is a MUCH better day!

  2. I read the same thing that some of the newer pyrex will explode like that. Not made the same as the old stuff. Just glad no one was hurt!!

  3. Anonymous3:14 AM

    I had a ramekin explode in the microwave!

  4. Were the beans cold? Was the dish cold before you put it in a hot oven?

    I have had that happen once, but I put cold glass in hot water.

    BAD idea in case you are wondering.

  5. No way! I can't believe it busted in the oven. I would think it was a defective dish. The only time I've had trouble was when I put a pyrex dish from the oven (still very hot) and put it in the sink. The water in the sink made it shatter. Scared the crap out of me!

    Break out the Lean Cuisine!

  6. I hadn't heard of it happening till now but all my Pyrex is older. I would send them the pictures!

    Sorry about your dinner but glad your ok.


  7. Also depends on the oven temp. I know glass pans cook at 25 degrees lower than other pans.

  8. You also might want to check out this snopes.com article on Pyrex:

  9. It is a scientific fact that (1) gas from new poorly-made-cheapass-cutting-corners Pyrex mixed with (2) gas from cooking refried beans and (3) expected gas soon to be expelled from humans who have just consumed said refried beans creates the phenomenom known as "Estellar Frijoles". Scientific fact. Really. I'm not kidding.

  10. have you called them to see if they can send you a free replacement- and some beans-n-cheese?

  11. YIKES! What a mess is right! I haven't had that happen but it did happen with a glass lid on a skillet pan on the stove. Shards and pieces went EVERYWHERE. Was thanking the Lord my baby boy and I weren't nearby. I am still freaked out to use glass lids!

  12. This happened to me with a vintage square ribbed yellow glass pyrex dish and lid. I had beef stew in it, took it from the fridge and tried to reheat it in the oven...whoops. Huge mess and no dinner. It was sooo heavy and thick, but maybe pyrex, even old pyrex, is just not that good with the temperature change... I should have known that.

  13. I have heard of this as well, and I think it happened to my SIL. I havent had any issues yet!

  14. WHAT? I can't believe it! I know it ruined your frijoles, but did The Bean make it out unscathed??

  15. Jenn Bontrager7:26 PM

    I had it happen to me. I was making meatloaf and it exploded in the oven. The sound is terrifying. And such a mess to clean up because it is so hot. I refuse to use pyrex anymore.


I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!

Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers