What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thursday's Yard Sale Treasures

This morning it got hot, fast. I went to a few sales and came home absolutely drenched in sweat. TMI, right? I really didn't plan on staying out in the heat, but I kept finding good junk!

I called today my "Book Day". I try to steer clear of books because they are bulky and heavy. But, today the books were brand new, cheap and my style...so, home they came.

I'm really not a cookbook kind of gal, but I like to look through them and see if anything strikes my fancy. The Bean likes to cook and find new recipes, so he is going through them too. I hadn't looked through a Kovel's in a while and I thought the Pottery mark book might come in handy.

On to the vintage cuteness: An oh, so cute vintage Rooster planter. I think he might be wearing pants!

A nice old glass cake stand for $1.00. Perfect for my pink iced cake with my mini toasting glasses!

I love these letter cards from an old PROBE game. The game is complete and we may play it, but I rally like those cards. It was only 25¢, so it was the Deal of the Day. No, wait, I have a better one coming....
A nice piece of matte white pottery with a lovely cornflower blue inside. I used to only like the white pottery, but I have discovered a *pop* of color looks good with all the white.
A wild assortment of vintage Christmas ornaments - a couple vintage Shiny Brites with indents (in pink, my favorite)and some bejeweled and bedazzled homemade ornaments.

I will be selling this shotglass set. Is it a liqueur set? I don't know. I got this at a sale where nothing was marked. "how much is yadda, yadda?" I asked, "I don't care," the lady said. "I just don't want it." So, I made a pile consisting of all the cookbooks above, the glass set, the vintage ornaments (more to come) and several other items and once again I asked, "How much?" She told me she didn't care, just give her something. Well, I just did not want to do that so I asked her to pleeeease make a price. I was wishing for $5.00 and she said $6.00, that worked for me. She could have said $20.00, and then what would I have done?
Oh yes, the Deal of the Day. or maybe it is just my favorite find. A gorgeous tablecloth is fabulous red and aqua. So pretty! (Hey Sue, I just realized - I had a trifecta day - matte white pottery, vintage tablecloth and vintage Christmas. Woohooo!) This tablecloth was pristine, washed, freshly ironed and only 50¢. "Oh, you are buying Grandma's tablecloth" the girls all said in a sad voice. Well, if they are so sad about it, why didn't they keep Grandma's dadgum tablecloth????? It has a good home now, Grandma!
A fun piece of Folk Art - a carved gnome face. Isn't he cute?

More vintage Christmas - although not from the era I collect. These will be resold or swapped or ???? I did get a kick out of the man in the center with the kid on his shoulders. The kid has a crutch, so I think it is from A Christmas Carol."

Two small pieces of pottery for my miniature pottery collection. I like little artist pieces like this when I can find them. Each one is only about 1 1/2" tall.

And lastly, some more vintage Christmas items - more in my style. I'm always happy to add a knee hugger to my entourage. When I was paying, the lady said, "Oh, this box is empty," and threw it in her trash box. I retrieved it and said, "That's okay, I just want the empty box," I said. She honest to goodness looked at me like I fell off the turnip truck. *Bounce*


In other news: I am in shock over Michael Jackson. I always like him and loved his music. He was very much a part of my teen years. The passing of Farrah is sad too. I always said her name when I was trying to let people know how to say my name - Farrah/Shara. I always wanted Ed McMahon to show up at my door with that big old Publishers Clearinghouse Check. Jon and Kate have my stomach in a knot too. Wow. What a week!

6 comments:

  1. Love that you used bejeweled and bedazzled in one sentence...WOWZA..that is one bowl of Christmas fun. Cake plate is awesome!!!
    I am also shocked about the MJ death. He was such a big party of my teen years too - before he went of the deep end he was such an talent - awesome songs/dance/trendsetter...Jon and Kate made me so sad...my daughter and I have watched that show forever...would hate to be a single mom with all those kids - will be interesting to watch as the show progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did hit the trifecta, lucky girl! Love the table cloth!! I agree with your last paragraph, crazy week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What awesome finds!! I can't believe that lady let you kinda make your own price!! Too bad all sales can be like that.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did have a great day! I think my favorite piece is the cake plate. I need to check into some sales this week. I am suffering some withdrawls. :)

    Take Care,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing stuff! The Pottery marks book has been a godsend for me in identifying things, so it will definitely come in handy. I've finally hardened myself to hearing family members get all mushy about things they're virtually giving away and just think, "Well, too bad for you, you should have grabbed it when you had the chance, dummie." La de dah, la de dah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. umm... Shara... what is the mark on the bottom of that white/blue pottery bowl? Are you holding out on me???

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers