What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Worth a Thousand Words

I've been taking a slew of photos with my new camera, but this is the first time I have been able to post any of them. I like to take pictures of people, but my real love is nature and old buildings. I am lucky to live in an area of such natural beauty where everything, and I mean everything, is so beautiful.

I love this odd old building in the middle of the lake. I don't know what it is really for, but it is just cool. We have been there before and I have taken lots of photos of it, but on this visit, the sun was setting and the reflection of the building in the water was a new view for me.

I love the way you can't tell where it all starts and where it all begins. It's just pretty and serene and peaceful there.
A bunch of odd fungi growing on a tree near the waterline. Some people think things like this are ugly and nasty, but I think they are natural, unique and interesting.

Here's the so-called "river" after Ike came through last weekend. Those trees in the middle of the river aren't anywhere near the water's edge normally, let alone in the center of the river. It was rushing like rapids in a movie when we were there. We were in a parked car sitting on the ridge, but with the rush of the water, we had vertigo and it felt like we were rushing by and not the water.

A heart rock I couldn't bring home. It was probably 12' across and below a 40' bridge. But, it will always be there for us to see when we visit the lake.


Another reflection photo. There was a guy in a kayak just in the "v' there to the left. It looked like a peaceful lace to take a float.
There's my building again. Why do I love it so?
The County Fair. I never knew there were so many kinds of chickens and bunnies and turkeys, oh my.

The Horticulture building at the County Fair. Such a gorgeous mix of green and purple. It won Grand Champion, and rightfully so.
Jams, jellies, green beans, relish, applesauce and all other sorts of canned goods. The most remarkable part about these jars is that each and every one was canned by someone under the age of 16! The Adult categories were slim this year, but the Junior Divisions were packed.
Wow. Is he ugly or pretty? I can't decide. I'll settle at different, that's for sure.
This sheep reared up on his hind legs and threw his head over the fence to give me and The Bean a kiss. He liked us, he really liked us!
I love the colors of the Fair -Pinks & Aquas, you can't do better than that. And,they have the food pyramid - Cotton Candy, Popcorn and Candy Apples!
I took 356 photos, so consider yourself spared from The Bean's birthday,the gummy rats we ate at the party, 56 photos of various chickens and nearly 80 photos of our three cats. You're welcome!

2 comments:

  1. NICE PHOTOS! I would say that the camera is 'nice', but I am a PRIME EXAMPLE that you can have a GREAT camera that won't take GREAT photos due to operator failure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, I thought digital cameras were invented solely to take pictures of our cats!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers