What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Vacation

DH is on vacation this week. Mr. "Fall asleep on the couch every night" turns into the life of the party on his vacation. "Where do you want to go?" "What do you want to do?" "Where do you want to eat?" He's all about geting out and going, going, going. I like that too, but I still have to come home and do the laundry and vaccuum, etc.

Yesterday I got conned into going to the Mall. I do not go to the Mall. I despise the Mall. But, I went to the Mall. First stop - Shrek 3. It was very good. First movie I've been into in a year. My cheap factor just cannot pay for movies very often. $17.25 for three people to see a Matinee. I thought that was bad enough until DH went and treated himself to the "Gallon O'Soda" at the bargain basement price of $3.75. And he added, "I get a refill too!" (In case I forget to mention this later on in this post - he had to go to the bathroom every 30 minutes the rest of the day).

After the movie, I assumed we would leave the Mall. But, noooooo, DS and DH are Mall Rats - they wanted to "look around". Eh, gads. So, I went too. First stop - The Disney Store. Loud annoying music and lots of bustling shoppers. I was shocked that everyone was buying basketloads of stuff. How can people throw their money away like that? Then I got a gander at some prices. Hey - there were deals at the Mall! Who knew! I bought DS a Pirates of the Carribean shirt for $4.99. He got a really nice set of collectible Narnia Characters for $3.74 after discounts. I think it was nearly $25.00 to start. He bought some other piddly stuff that I can't recall.

After that, DS spots "Time Out". He asks what that is and I give him very vague answers like, "I don't know." But, he just doesn't buy it. He goes towards it to take a closer look and I know that I am doomed. He has just located the Video Arcade. DH was making his third potty break during this conversation. So, we go into the Video Arcade. All the employees seem to be 13 years old. Or perhaps I am just getting old. Ten minutes and $10.00 later and we are out of the Video Arcade.

DH then spots the Razorback Store and is gone at the speed of light. I recently gave him permission to put one small tasteful silver Razorback on the VUE. His truck is all pimped out in Razorback goods. So, he is on the hunt for a tasteful Razorback. As if "Creepy Guy, Mr. Hillbilly knows what tasteful is.....

Back out in the center of the Mall - I am trying to get the boys to the exit. Damn. Another sports store. DH is off like a three year old after a puppy. But,what do I see in the window? A rack chuck full of t-shirts with a $1.99 sign in front of them. So, I made my way into "Champs" against my better thinking. These were nice two color ringer tees thatwere $9.99. I bought DS one in each color for a total of 10. School will start eventually.....

I really wanted to at least leave that particular wing of the mall as we were near Bath and Body Works and the White Barn Candle Comapny and is positively reeked. I am very sensitive to smells and perfumes and it was beginning to wear on me. I did manage to get the boys out of that wing and townards the door. But, then, believe it or not - I spotted a Payless and asked to go in! I found a pair of shoes I liked, but it was really hot in there and my blood sugar bottomed out. I couldn't get to the car fast enough. So, my theory that going to the Mall makes me sick, must be right!!

Tomorrow we are going to Historic Van Buren. There is a three block long string of old shops, junk stores, craft stores (meaning stores that sell already made crafts), resturants, etc. that we are going to peruse. There is a train, the river, a museum and lots of other cool stuff too. Hmmmm, maybe a thrift store?????

4 comments:

  1. You know we are expecting a daily post about your adventures w/DH.

    I like some scents, but when they are all intermingled it is nauseating.

    You need to hit KOHL'S soon. I went Mon and found shirts and capris for me and DS and didn't pay over $4 for any one of them. I got a couple shirts for me that were $1.80 and $2.70. I usually do all my back to school shopping for DS between now and the first of Aug. I avoid the bts rush like the plague. He isn't picky as long as it has skulls or skateboards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it's gonna be a busy week! Hope it's fun for you all! : ) I'm not a mall girl either and since the nearest one is 2 hours away, it's just as well! You DID get some good deals, though! Good for you!
    Jan/azbax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:26 PM

    I don't usually like to go to the mall either. The sales are not so good and there are too many teenagers. Sounds like you got some good deals though.

    Have fun this week!

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm from Historic Van Buren! :) That was the beginning of my thrifting days. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers