What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

It's January 3rd - And the Tree is STILL up!

But it is coming down today. I swear. I have my day all planned out. I have all new storage tubs fresh from Lowe's and big Ziploc storage bags with smaller ones inside to organize it all neatly. I just dread packing it all up for some reason this year. I am enjoying my new vintage (rather a redundant statement, eh?) goodies that I acquired this year at the thrifts.

I also have a hard time saying goodbye to my old favorites until next year. These are the Raggedy Ann and Andy ornaments that have been placed right at that spot on every tree since I was six years old. I don't have any other ornaments from my childhood - just these two. Every year my Mom and I would make flour and salt dough and color it with food coloring. Then we would all sit around the dining room table and make handmade ornaments. These weren't the tiny delicate heirlooms that today's bloggers make. These were huge heavy things that weighed the branches down to the floor and make instant snacks for the wasps and other insects that found them in the attic over the summer. I wish we would have taken pictures of them, because some of them were funny - self portraits, giant candy canes, etc.

We have all of these huge snowflakes hanging from the tree in the front yard. I found a few of them at the Dollar Tree last year and then found more this year. They are about 14" across and have frosted snowy tips. I think I will leave them up through January since I also have snowmen and wintry decorations for the front porch. Our house is white with a slate blue front door and garage door, so the wintry snow stuff seems right at home on the proch. I guess that helps me take down the Christmas since I know I can put up my wintry snowy stuff.

My auctions ended last night for the four MacKenzie Childs covered dishes. I paid $5.00 each for them and they ended up selling for a total of $303.50. Not a bad turnover. ;o) I also have a set of two Hale Pua Hawaiian Floral Paintings that are ending this morning. I bought those in November at a yard sale very late in the day. They were priced at $3.00 each, but when I paid, the lady only charged me 50¢ for the set. I started them at $12.50, thinking they might go as high as $40.00. Color me surprised when I woke up one morning to see them at $113.00. This morning they are $154.00 with time still left for some last minute bids. Well, I can always hope, right? Not a bad paycheck this week!

1 comment:

  1. A big YAY on the MC pieces! what an awesome find. Between those and the paintings, you are ROLLING in the dough this week! Are you the reason I can't get on YSQ this morning? Everybody's busy going ga-ga over your sales and crashing up the server? LOL

    My tree's still up too--eek! I did get pretty much everything else moved downstairs yesterday, so now I just have the tree and the stuff downstairs to put away. I leave up my glitter snowflakes and "Winter Dreams" banner, and I have a set of snowflake dishes and table linens that I will get out for January. I'm just not ready to go back to 'normal' and it's way too early for Valentine's so this is my compromise. I love your snowflakes--I bet they look really pretty with your house!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers