What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, March 02, 2018

What the heck?

Well, hey!  It's been another wild and crazy month over here.  Everything is fine now, so that's what counts.  My Mom was sent back to the hospital - they thought she had a stroke - but it was really low potassium from all the diuretics that they had put her on in the first place.  She (we) spent one night in the hospital, then went home.  She was released at 8:00 that night too.  What is UP with releasing folks so darn late at night?  Sheesh!  Then at her one week check up from that visit, they determined her Potassium was too HIGH (from the diuretics they had placed her on....), so zoom - back to the ER.  It was pouring rain, thundering and lightening and there we were trying to park and unload at the ER.  The test at the Dr. was either false, or it had dropped during the day, so she went home that evening.  Actually, it was about midnight.  Crazy drive home in the pouring rain again.  But, she is feeling good and everything is good with her right now.  So, that is all that matters.  

And then......

Two weeks ago, I came out of the shower and heard a hissing noise in the laundry room.  Opened the door and the washer hose was a) spraying water b) sparking and c) shooting flames.  What the heck.  I screamed for help and the three of us relay teamed and watched that the fire didn't catch - it was just occasionally shooting a little flame up (but a "little" flame is way too much of a flame in your house!), turned off the breakers and monitored the smoke alarm.  Every thing seemed fine except weird, so we continued on with our evening.  Then The Bean took a shower, but he came out pretty quick.  "I just got shocked in the shower, " he said.  What the heck?!?!  I decided I would call an electrician the next day.  Of course, that was Sunday, so that meant BIG BUCKS.  But, we really didn't want to be electrocuted.  

Sunday the Electrician came, but he was stymied as to what was going on.  Everything he checked, checked out fine.  Then we realized we didn't have any hot water, so he checked the tank and IT started sparking.  What the heck?  He advised calling a plumber to look at the hot water heater.  (I know this is such a long and probably boring story, but it was a nightmare for us!)  So, we had no washer or hot water that night.

Monday I called Plumbers, but they all said that would be an electrical issue, so I called the Electrician back.  He talked it over with his supervisor and they were here within a few minutes.  The Supervisor told me that our house wan't grounded anymore.  The grounding had failed and the house was trying to ground itself, so it took the hot water line and tried to ground to it.  Nearly electrocuting us.  What the heck?  He said that he worked overseas - he had worked grounding 5000 shower rooms that hadn't been properly grounding and some servicemen had been electrocuted.  That's when I really realized how very lucky were had been.  It took all day to rewire, rebuild the breaker box, put in new grounding, add in a whole house surge protector and a surge protector to the hot water and A/C unit.  That cost $5000.00  Gulp. FIVE THOUSAND. Then we still had to have a plumber come fix the hot water heater for another $250.00. Plus the water buckled our bathroom floor and caused some other minor damages.  

About a week later, I decided to call our insurance just to see if any of it was covered.  I really only thought the bathroom floor might be covered, but our deductible would probably be about as much.  Luckily, I got the nicest adjuster and she listened to my whole story, called the electrician and heard his version of the story (same as mine) and checked our policy.  Much to my surprise, about $4500.00 of it was covered.  So, getting it fixed properly and not being out Five grand, was a really good thing.  Oh, yea - and BONUS - not being electrocuted.  Whoop!  

So, here's the point to this story - if you see sparks coming out when you plug in a plug, or you feel the tingliest tiny shock like a 9 Volt battery on your tongue, call an electrician and see if your house is properly grounded!  Also, if you have damages, call your insurance.  Be nice and ask questions.  They will help you if you have it coming to you. Keep track of everything too.  I mentioned not having the washer and hot water heater for a week and multiple laundry trips and they gave us $15 a load, which was super nice. Also, some of our issues were covered because there are new codes concerning using zinc rods and some other things - insurance pays for code improvements because that is out of your control.  At least our insurance did - your mileage may vary.  



Onward and upward.  The month of close calls - hospital visits, car accidents, electrical issues...it;s all good.  Close call.  

I've been thrifting as much needed thrift therapy and I re-worked my entire booth today.  Oh!  And they are filming the new season of True Detective in town and the set designers have been hitting my booth hard for 1970-80's items.  They bought all my vintage toys and some vintage kitchen stuff.  I can't wait to look for my stuff on HBO!

I'll be back!  


  1. do you know an air date for the show? That would be a fun seek and find of Shara's things.

  2. WOW!! Stuff like that is scary and expensive. So glad some of it was covered by insurance and you are all safe. Whew! Love that your stuff is in a series!!

  3. yikes super scary! nor not mention expensive but better safe than sorry!

    Take care and I hope to watch a new season of True Detectives with your stuff in it!

  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

  5. What the heck is right!!! I'm so glad your story had a happy ending. Thanks for the insurance tips. I will tuck them away and hope I never need them.
    How cool that your goodies will be on the set of a HBO show. You really need to add that to a poster at this year's Junk Ranch: "As seen on the HBO hit True Detective"
    Onward and upward!

  6. Anonymous6:49 PM

    I'm glad that your mother is doing better and that you and your family didn't get electrocuted. You lucked out with great insurance adjusters to assist you with this issue. I wish someone from TV would want my stuff lol. You'll have to point out your stuff. Stay safe and wishing t=you good sales!

  7. OMG Boo - we have a lot in common! My favorite Aunt had to go to the ER this week for high potassium. She is OK but it was scary for my cousins. She is older and frail now and may even have a touch of dementia. She was a pediatrician and always treated my brothers and I wonderfully when we were growing up. She took me to Macy's when I was a pre-teen and that's when I fell in love with NYC. I'm glad your mom is doing well now.

    AND I also had a stint with being electrocuted at my friend's house when taking a shower. Glad everything worked out and you contacted the electrician again and your insurance company. Very scary stuff!

    Let us know when your stuff shows up on HBO!!!! How exciting!!! We pay an absolute ridiculous amount of money every month for cable and HBO isn't included - so stupid.

    I've been steadily buying more junk and loving every minute of it.

  8. Unbelievable! I have never heard of such a thing. Thank God you and your family weren't hurt or worse. On a happier note... Fun that the tv show is buying up your goodies. AND that you had a smashing good day at the casino!


I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!

Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers