What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Handmade Market: Mushy Stuff

Yesterday I heard about a small Handmade Market.  I asked if there were openings, but there were not.  Then this morning, Wah-lah - an opening.  So, I signed up to do it.  All handmade and crafts with a dollop of vintage thrown in - mostly Valentine and gift themed.  It's February 4th  - so that's not much time. 



 I have a good amount of handmade items at the ready and some ideas for a few more things to crank out.  It is a short evening - only three hours - so I need to keep it small and manageable.  But, YOU KNOW ME.  My mind is churning and thinking of more and more and more.  But, I will be STRONG.  :)  I love, love. love themes and doing a red, white and pink Valentine themed booth is VERY EXCITING to me.  Vintage pink and red rose tablecloths, red, white and pink tins full of goodies, red straws tied up with red ribbon and on and on and on.  OH IT SOUNDS FUN. But, I will be good.  



I made 45 of these last week for a swap, so I guess I will whip up a bunch more. They look cute in an old Mason jar on the mantle.  I already have all the fixin's as they say.


I also made 100 new necklaces.  (I'm crazy about making in bulk).  I love the Good and Plenty because PINK and licorice.  YUM.  


I scanned old candy packages and re-sized them to fit onto a Domino pendant.  The Junior Mint is my favorite in this batch because although I refer to The Bean as "The Bean" I do not call him The Bean to his face. But, I do call him Junior Mint and I have since the day he was born.  


I have a real love affair with candy.  I love to look at it, smell it and sure eat it some, but mostly the wrappers and the confections and the ideas of candy.  When I was a kid, my Dad's favorite candy was JuJyFruits and I thought he was CRAZY for liking those things.  Now they are one of my favorites.  I thought these would be fun for most anytime, but around Valentine's Day and Halloween mostly. 


I also conveniently enough made a batch of Valentine necklaces so I am ready in that aspect.  

I have my repurposed clipboards and milk cap magnets and on and on.  The same old same old.  I guess it's nice to make in bulk because you always have stock and are ready for a surprise show in two weeks.  At least that's what I'm telling myself.  

**To all of you out there getting feet and feet of snow -  you all stay safe and warm.  We really want some snow here (and by "we" I mean me and The Bean.  The Breadman, notsomuch)  But, not feet and feet of it.  Stay safe out there!  



11 comments:

  1. Love your necklaces - very unusual.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That sounds like so much fun! Hope you sell out of your domino necklaces. Mine is so cute I didn't even pack it away for Christmas, it's hanging from my lamp on my desk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kept going back and looking at your necklaces on IG last night. I'm trying to decide which one I want!!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your necklaces are so cute! Hope you sell everything at the sale, your booth will be the cutest one there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing your booth set up in all the red, pink and valentine glory! Your candy necklaces are adorable...nothing better than those old fashioned candies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The show sounds fun and I love your necklaces and crafts! We had a sprinkle of snow but it's gone now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see your booth. I just know it will be the cutest one there. I love all your necklaces, but especially love the pinwheels. Snowing here in Massachusetts, but where I am it will only be a few inches. Surprises me, we usually get hammered!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love me everything cupcake (necklaces, earrings, change purses, etc.) but those candy pendants are just too freaking cute! I bet it would be so fun to just hang out with you on any random day just to see wazzup with you : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you will do really well. Your inventory is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure you will do very well. Be sure to share your booth display on IG too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun a Valentine booth! I know you will rock that and can't wait for the pics. I still want a necklace, maybe a V day one since Christmas is over. Wait, maybe candy!! Email me your address!

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers