What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

25,000 FREE Books- Oh MY!

Recently on Freecycle I saw a post offering over 25,000 FREE books. They are out in a barn in a small town about 15 miles away. I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had time to go check it out. But, this weekend, DS and I drove out to see if anything was left.



*Signs on the highway marked the way to the FREE books.

Goodness! There are still thousands of boooks with boxes piled up 15 feet tall still full. Those are reserved and will be opened later after more of the original books have disappeared.



*Note - that is not my behind on the headless woman.

There were a lot of textbooks. I picked up four each of all the new unused textbooks I could find to list on Amazon this fall. We also found a new DVD, a box of filmstrips and cassette tapes and boxes of teacher's resource materials for the science books. I've only just started looking them up, but one of the science books goes for about $17.00, so that alone was worth the trip (I have four copies).



We ended up bringing home about 50 books. Found some books for myself and DS picked out some encyclopedias and some science books. It was just a lot of fun to see all those books and know you could have any and all that you wanted. DS is used to thrift store and yard sale prices, but FREE really intirgued him. And he does love books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers