What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, February 10, 2006

I went to my favorite thrift (not the best stuff, but the nicest people) at noon yesterday. Well, it opens at noon, but you can go in anytime after about 1:15, so I always get there then, since most people do come at noon. Anyway, when I pulled up there was this guy sitting by the door. When I pulled up, he sort of motioned at me, then brushed his hand away at me like I wasn't who he thought I was and then he went in the thrift. I thought maybe he was witning for someone and mistook me for them. I went in and browsed around a bit. A little bit later I heard that guy at the counter talking. He had a bedspread and he said, "I need this." The ladies smiled and said, "Okay, that's $7.00". He said, "I'll give ya a dollar." The ladies said they couldn't sell it to him for a dollar. Then he went NUTS. Turns out he was a homeless man. He started screaming that he was FREEZING HIS YOU KNOW WHAT OFF OUTSIDE. (He cussed. A LOT!) The ladies told him that a bedspread wouldn't keep him warm, but they would give him a blanket. They went to get him a blanket and he started hollaring, "You think you are a bunch of saints for giving me a blanket. You think I'm funny, living on the streets? I'd like to see any one of you out there freezing you're a$$ off out there." (Mind you, I was the only one under the age of about 70 in there and he coudn't even see me.) So, the lady gives him the blanket and he THROWS it on the floor and says, "THIS IS CRAP." She said, "I am sorry, but that's all we have. If you don't want it, I'm sorry." "No", he says. "I'll take it. It's crap, but what else am I gonna do if all you PEOPLE think I can use is CRAP?" And then he stormed out of the door. Right before he walked out he said, "THANK you, ladies." Which was sort of funny because we all thought he was going to go whack on us! I had the cellphone out in case I needed to hide in the used suit rack and dial 911!

Here's what I ended up buying:

*resell

Birdhouse made from a gourd - $3.00
Denim vestw/ cargo pockets for me- 50¢
Pocket Doll from 1985- 50¢
6 old Mini Aluminum Jell-O Molds - 50¢ (I have too many of these, and am not supposed to buy anymore. )
Oklahoma Sooners Glass - 50¢
Stack of Country Living Mags - FREE

Went to another thrift on the way to school. They are SO expensive. Almost every knick-knack is $8.00. This store will well things that are "K's Collection" whcih is from the Dollar Tree for $3.00. Hellloooo?

Stack of Country Living Mags - $1.25 I don't normally pay for mags, but since I got about 10 for free earlier, I figured $1.25 for about 20 total wasn't bad.

*Notice that NONE of this is for resell. Me, me, me!

It's starting to snow right now. I have a ton of errands to do today, but now I must sit by the TV and wiat for them to annouce the school closings. The school in the next town (8 minutes away) is closing in 15 minutes - but no word on our schools yet. DH drove an hour away to deliver bread to a school and they were already closed. Now, won't he be a happy camper all day?!?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers