What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Monday, November 14, 2005

I stocked up on pop, chips and dip for the upcoming holiday festivities last week. Dillon's had a number of offers in their Ad using their Shopper's Card and the Pepsi/Frito Lay products had coupons on them too. Since some items counted on the receipt and were automatically deducted - I was able to use a coupon on top of those discounts.

An advertised special was buy two 24 packs of Pepsi Procducts and get three 2 lt. bottles of Pepsi Products FREE. The 24 pks. were $5.00 each so I spent $10.00. Then we found a coupon - Buy three Frito lay products and get a free 12 pk. The Chips were on sale for $2.00 each so I spent $6.00. And then I spotted a deal using my Shopper's Card to save $2.00 on a Tostino Dip when you buy two Tostino Products. Since I had bought two Tostino chips to meet the requirement for the free 12 pk. I used that coupon to deduct $2.00 on the dip which was on sale for $2.27. So, the dip cost us 27¢. And then I spotted one more coupon offering Buy One Dip, Get One Free. So, I got another dip for FREE. In the end, I spent $16.27 for two 24 packs of Pepsi, one 12 pk. of Mug Root Beer, three 2 lt. bottles of Pepsi, two bags of Tostino Gold Chips, one bag of Taco Doritoes and two jars of Tostino Cheese Dip. At regular price all of that would have cost $36.62. So, I saved over $20.00. I also picked up a rebate offering a $3.00 rebate on a Holiday Classic DVD (Frosty, Rudolph, etc) when you send in a receipt with Pepsi and Frito/Lay products on it. So, I have the receipt - now to find a cheap DVD!

They also had turkeys on sale for half price with a $10.00 purchase - since I spent that on the above mentioned items, I got a 13 pound turkey for $6.00.

Hint for the Day - Combine coupons, ad specials and shopper card specials to make a triple play and save BIG!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers