What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Friday, January 06, 2006

I was at Target this morning at 8:09 after I dropped of DS at school. I was the third person in the store. I didn't get the NASCAR car care sets that I wanted, but I did find two Turtle Wax car care sets with free poker chips and free poker cards for $2.94. I gotone for my StepDad and one for my Dad who both have January birthdays. I found these fabulous heavy nickel bar trays, ice buckets, bar tools ans salad tool sets. I got a tray, ice bucket and bar tool set for an upcoming wedding. They were $39.99, $29.99 and $19.99 respecitively, but only $3.99, $2.99 and $1.99 after discounts. So, I have a beautiful $90.00 gift for $9.00.

I also bought a small bench - it is black with a red and black plaid cushion. I will put it in the flea market and price it plus use it for display. It was $59.99 - I paid $5.99. I got two really nice outdoor decorations -one is a rusty looking christmas tre that reads "PEace on Earth'a nd has birds attached with wire. When the wind rustles, it is a windchime. I also got a similiar rusty snowman windchime sort of thing. They were $12.99 - I paid $1.29. I got two really nice heavy throw rugs with snowflakes and penguins on them for $1.29 each.

I bought 25 handblown glass ornaments in red holographic gift boxes. They were 19¢ to 59¢ each. These will go in the Flea Market or on ebay as a lot. I bought a lot of Shabby Chic ornaments and tree toppers. Shabby Chic sells well on ebay and this is the trademarked "Shabby Chic" so I can use it in my title legally.

I did end up buying wrapping paper, tissue paper and gift bags, but I stuck to solid colors or snowflakes - things I can use year round or for packing ebay boxes.

When it was all said and done, I spent $80.00 which means I brought home $800.00 worth of stuff. It wasn't worth $800.00. But, it was certainly worth $80.00.

Hint of the Day: Check the internet for markdown schedules at Target, Walmart, etc. so you can be there FIRST when the doors open and get the good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers