What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

19¢ Nailpolish at Walgreen's

If you have a Walgreen's clse to you - they have some pretty good deals this week. The main one is that they have this high dollar (in my book) Revlon Nail Polish on sale. I think it is about $8.50 normally, but a lot of the colors are on closeout for $3.19. Inside the front door they have these books called "Easy Saver Rebate Book". In these books are $3.00 of this Nail Polish. That makes it only 19¢ each! Limit one polish per coupon. I have heard that some of the stores will let you get several and just scan the coupon over and over again, but I haven't had the nerve. I've gotten three colors of "Nearly Buff" so far. I usually wear clear, but I like this nearly buff stuff - it hasn't chipped or come off in three days and I hand wash all the dishes in the house. It's a good deal if you are close or going there anyway.

Another thing is the Ultra Blood Glucose Monitors are on sale for $30.00. There have been coupons in the newspaper lately for $30.00 off one - so they are FREE! I have gotten four so far - two went to a local church where they were helping Katrina Victims, one went to an Elder in our Cherokee group that needed a monitor and one will go to the School Nurse to have as a backup. We do have to pay Sales Tax here so it does cost $3.00 to get the free monitor. But, in the end, they really help people. These things are normally nearly $80.00 each.

Went to the Salvation Army today. DS did most of the shopping with his own allowance. DS got the newest Captain Underpants book in MINT condition for 25¢, a NWT September 11th "America" Beanie Baby for $2.00 (DS collects and loves these now that we can get them second hand and cheap), two other books for DS for 25¢ each, a "Teacher's Pet" VHS movie for $1.00 for DS, a nice divided basket for the Flea Market and another nice laundry style basket to put things in at the Flea Market. Oh, yes, my best del by far - a nice leather COACH bag complete with register number inside. The real deal! That's for resell!

Hint of the Day: Take your kids thrifting and yard saling to look for books, toys, etc. Things are so cheap and usually in great condition. Where else can they get a puzzle, a book and three toys for a dollar and still get CHANGE back???

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:33 PM

    Loved hearing about your trip to SA. The deals you got at the stores were great too.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers