What is a monkeybox?

When I was a little girl, we had a pet monkey named Amanda. My Dad worked in the produce business, so each night he brought home that days culls in a big box - spotty cucumbers, pithy apples, limp celery, moldy oranges and the like. We called it a monkeybox. It was really just trash, but my Mom would take each piece of fruit and trim it, pare it and cut it up to make a beautiful fruit platter for Amanda. Even though it was deemed trash by one, it still had life left in it and was good for the purpose we needed it. That's how I live my life - thrifting, yard saling, looking for another's trash to be my treasure.

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Cheap Groceries

I've had a run of good luck lately getting grocery items at good prices than with coupons. Yesterday I noticed that IGA had a lot of Quaker products in their ad. The Quaker Breakfast Squares were on sale for $1.50. I knew I had coupons for 75¢ off 2 so I thought that might be a good deal. Well - when I got to the store - each box had a peel-off coupon for...tada....$1.50 each box! So, they scanned at $1.50 and then the $1.50 coupon deducted. ZERO! I bought eight boxes all for tax only. These are good for after school snacks, bedtime snacks or breakfast. DH carries some in his route truck for breakast on the road. I like to throw them in the car for those hectic spring yard saling days!

I also bought five boxes of Frosted Flakes. They are on sale 6/$10.00. I bought 5 boxes at $1.67 each. Used three $1.00/1 coupons and one $1.00/2 coupons to bring my total down to $4.35 for five boxes. DS is a Frosted Flakes fan!

At WalMart I found Kellogg's Twistable Fruit Snacks on clearnace for 50¢ each. DS always wants these, but rarely gets thm at $2.68 a box. I bought 6 boxes for about the same price as one would normally cost.

So, we are set for snacks in this house. I wish I could fins somce coupons for fresh veggies!

I got a catalog in the mail the other day forom Brylanehome.com. It had a code for a free telephone on the cover with any purchase. I ordered an item I had been wanting (it was on clearance from $49.99 to $15.00) and I got the free telephone. it is a desktop phone with speakerphone, hold button, music on hold, calculator, spped dial, etc. It reminds me of the fancy phone I used to have on my desk when I had a "real" job. The first item arived on Friday and the free phone arrived on Tuesday. All in all a great deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments. I'd love to respond to everyone, but if you don't have an email address tied to your ID, please sign your name so I will know who you are! It makes it nice to know who is saying what. Now, leave a comment! Please? ;o)

I Can See You!



Look at my Visitors!

Fellow Junk Followers